Who Needs a wetsuit for tropical water diving anyway?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where are you?

In the US. I dive mainly in the summer on vacations and only when its a warm sunny day. Not the hardcore guy most on this forum are and still a relative newbie. However, I could dive warm shallow dives the rest of my life and be happy to never do anything else.

Getting wet and 'feeling' the sea is one of the many pleasures of scuba. Being as unconstrained by thick suits or bulky equipment as possible makes diving far more enjoyable. I strive for simplicity and sleekness, as unrestricted and as close to the water itself as possible. I did my first dives in the early 1960s with just a tee-shirt and trunks in ocean temps between 65 and 70F. A bit chilly, but after a few minutes you got used to it. Heavy suits are unavoidable in really cold water, but I feel sorry for people I see diving when water temps are in the 80sF all trussed up like a little kid with leggings and a snow suit.

Depends, but my preference in warm water is a 2/3 shorty that is so old it is now a 1/2 shorty. Provides positive and instant feedback that my elbows, knees and fins are not too close to the reef. I rarely now come back from a dive trip with anything but a couple of souvenirs. Multiple dives a day I transition to a 2/3 by the last dive of the day. Locally - dry suit so getting in the water with minimal neoprene is a treat!

I remember this one time I was diving in the Caribbean and this dude was pulled over mid water column by the scuba police for wearing gloves. It was embarrassing. Worst thing is they asked for his c card and registration and he had left it ashore.

Back
Top Bottom