Who Needs a wetsuit for tropical water diving anyway?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, against the grain, I wear a full 3 mm wetsuit, at a minimum, under all diving circumstances. I'm never too warm, but I'm often the only warm person on the boat. Wearing little protective gear sometimes seem like quite the macho thing.

What @scubadada said, except for the "macho thing." I think a lot of divers, especially vacation divers, don't wear wetsuits or dive skins because they don't have them, don't want to buy/rent them, or don't want to wear a wetsuit that hundreds of divers have peed in. There are obviously divers like @The Chairman who have not been stung because he does not touch anything, but I don't touch anything either, and have been nailed on the face, neck and legs while snorkeling in a swimsuit and rash guard well above anything touchable. Now, I wear a dive skin snorkeling, and a 3 or 5mil full suit when diving.

I don't touch anything either, and have been nailed on the face, neck and legs while snorkeling
I went for a dive off of Venice Beach Fl in search of Meg Teeth. I didn't get the memo that the purple meanies were out swimming and I was the only one in just a t-shirt and swimsuit.Those guys were everywhere and I almost didn't splash. Imagine everyone's surprise (and dismay) when I was the only diver to not get stung at all. Situational awareness helps a lot. Pretend you're playing dodgeball. :D

the one time I dove roatan I even wore a hood mostly for jellyfish.

I always wear at least a 3mm suit, have decent buoyancy and find the no-gloves rule idiotic. The most damage I see is from dangling octos, consols, and fins.
I'll never forget a dive guide with a dive light dragging on the ground. I asked him later if he knew that it was, and he said yes. SMMFH

I dive Grand Cayman 5 months of the year (when there aren't any viruses going around) where the water temps usually range from 79 to 86 through the year. I always wear a 5mm full suit until the water temp hits 85, then switch to the 3mm full. Folks often give me some good-natured guff about it, but by the end of the second dive they often wish they were wearing something more than a bathing suit. I tell them I'll give up wearing a wetsuit when the water temp reaches 98.6

When people ask for a recommendation on what suit they should use here, I think about one time I was on a dive boat here when the water was in the low 80s. I had on my trusty 5mm. Some of the others on the boat were in bathing suits, and 3mm shorties, and the dive master was in a dry suit! So I guess the recommendation would be to wear something between nothing and a dry suit.

And we're under the no-gloves/no-touch rule here for the areas that are a marine park, and generally for all others areas as well.

I went for a dive off of Venice Beach Fl in search of Meg Teeth. I didn't get the memo that the purple meanies were out swimming and I was the only one in just a t-shirt and swimsuit.Those guys were everywhere and I almost didn't splash. Imagine everyone's surprise (and dismay) when I was the only diver to not get stung at all. Situational awareness helps a lot. Pretend you're playing dodgeball. :D

If you can dodge a jellyfish, you can dodge a ball.

I was shore diving on Long Island NY a few years ago. I ran into jellies that were small, and maybe at times 6" to a foot apart. My only exposed skin, as usual, was the usual area mostly around the lips. Yes, I was stung there several times.

I was shore diving on Long Island NY a few years ago. I ran into jellies that were small, and maybe at times 6" to a foot apart. My only exposed skin, as usual, was the usual area mostly around the lips. Yes, I was stung there several times.

I ran into the same shore diving in Gloucester a couple weeks ago, suddenly surrounded by little jellyfish. Somehow none of us 4 divers got stung.

I ran into the same shore diving in Gloucester a couple weeks ago, suddenly surrounded by little jellyfish. Somehow none of us 4 divers got stung.
Yeah, I know the type of little ones that don't sting. Like little clear balls. Gotta watch small ones with tentacles.

Back
Top Bottom