Who makes the best Gloves and Booties?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pwscottiv

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm in the market for some gloves and booties and I'd like to know who you guys think make the "best".

I'd like the gloves to:
  • Provide resistance to cuts and punctures from sea creatures like lobsters (and hell why not moray eels why we're at it?!)
  • Be durable over time
  • Allow me to maintain enough dexterity to do things like open snap hooks, turn valves, flip light switches, etc.
  • Keep my hands warm.

As far as the booties go, I already have some 4mm booties that I use for surfing, so I guess I should be looking for some that are quite a bit thicker and maybe hard soled. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be doing mostly shore diving, but I might occasionally be on a boat.

Thanks for the help!

I don't think there's a "best" brand as such. A lot of it is about fit. But gloves do wear out over time, some sooner than others. For fins, it's not only about fit with your feet but also with your fins. I've been happy with my fairly cheap Camaro brand gloves and boots I bought off Sierra Trading Post, though they are currently out of the 5mm gloves and the boots are twice as expensive as at the time I bought them. Every now and then they just have awesome deals. For example, right now they have a new O'Neill drysuit (women's size 8) for $200 - beat that.

i LOVE my henderson boots!
as far as gloves i have a pair of cheap tusa gloves I use. the water isn't cold here so they're more for protection

I like the Bare Ice boots they have held up nicecly for over 3 years so far diving the rocky shores of RI and Cape Ann. For gloves I like the Harvey Dino hide or any 3mm gloves with the fingers dipped in tool dip.

I also wear 3mm Tusa gloves that I've had for the last 2 years and still look like new. I like my 5mm Harvey boots.

Wys

"Best" is relative. However, since boots take the longest time to dry, I use Henderson Insta-Drys. Fabulous boots. Turn them over during your SI, and they're dry before you're next dive.

The best items in the world to one could be the worst to another. Fit and comfort is way more important than the brand.

You can wear garden type gloves over your diving gloves when doing rough things like getting bugs.

Gary D.

On boots, I would probably look for Kevlar. It is pretty resistant to abrasions. On boots, I would look for something that has an arch on the bottom. After spending long days on a flat bottom boot, you can get pretty sore.

I have recently purchased the MARES TRILASTIC GLOVES. Image for Mares3/2mm Trilastic Gloves
They fit great and I can utilize my snapbolts and finger spools very easily. They did well on a lake dive with very low vis, I had to guide my way on the bottom using my hands and was very happy to have them. They tend to run big so size down.

I have also recently acquired a new pair of PINNACLE APEX Boots.
Image for Pinnacle6mm Apex Medium Sole Zipper Boots
I had switched to spring straps and needed a bigger lip to keep them from slipping up my heel. They feel really good and the zipper stays up much better than my other pair of boots.

Good luck and Happy diving!
Carolyn:sharks:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom