Who Makes The BEST CLOTHING FOR DIVING?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jason.elias

Contributor
Reaction score
Every time I go out Diving, I see a mish-mash in terms of what people are wearing Diving - everything from Patagonia to North Face to simple sweatshirts. I was wondering if people had a preference and why... What works? What can handle the environments? What is warm and dry?

Some of the jackets by the Outdoor Outfitters are SO expensive that I wonder if they are worth it. I know the gear is important and worth a premium, but is clothing as well?

The reason I ask, is because I am kicking around the idea of opening a store for Divers and wondering what the preference was and what I might carry clothing wise...?

Bespoke is the only way to look good under water unless you buy all your gear at the same time, which many people don't. And typical to any industry, the Scuba manufacturers tend to specialize in one thing, making it difficult to go with one industry for all your diving needs. Then again, you are assuming that most dive enthusiasts care about how they look underwater when in fact they don't.

I guess I should specify not for UNDERWATER, but actually for on the boat or beach. The before and after of Diving. I see a lot of people huddled and shivering (at least here in SoCal) in simple sweatshirts and was wondering if there was a preference..

Photograhpy kind of a funny place for this. Tank top and shorts.

I always pack my Chammyz for any type of diving, local or trips. Chammyz <---Click here.

It's more absorbent than towels and will continue to keep you warm when it's wet. They now make Chammyz for just about everything, men or women, shorts to long pants, vest to jackets, bath robe to even your dogs coat!

Beast and I keep one of the jackets in our vehicles year round.

I insist on Ralph Lauren for apres dive apparel. Usually a tux with tails. Who the hell cares what you look like on the boat to and from? As long as it's warm, dry, and does not make you look like an idiot it really does not matter. Logos and name brands other than maybe Amphibious Outfitters, Bob the Fish, or cafe press, nobody I dive with cares. In fact showing up with polo, izod, or any of the other yuppie brands is probably gonna take the heat off the guy who rolled in and forgot his fins(don't ask me how I know this), the one who got to 30 ft and realized he forgot to hook up his argon bottle, or the woman who puts make up on to get on the boat. Dry, warm, and clean( and that's really optional as far as clean goes).

I tend to like Columbia sportswear. The nylon shorts are really quick drying. Frequently there is a zippered pocket. And they also have alot of quick drying t shirts. There is alot of nice rain gear, warm fleece pants etc... We use this for camping as well as diving.

Boardshort Type Fabric "Surf Pants" from Patagonia & North Face Apex (not Apeks) Softshell. (NF Jacket is great for running in early AM)

Back
Top Bottom