Who is the "final word" as to what is DIR?

Who is the final word on what is DIR?

• GI3

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • JJ

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • Andrew

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • MHK

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Robert C.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uncle Pug

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Someone else

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • The pole is misleading

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • The poll is misspelled!

Votes: 6 7.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc once bubbled...
On a more serious note: Tom, while UP was added to the poll it was NOT pure levity that drove me to it. On the contrary, I think the Pugster has proven that he has the writing abilities and personal accumen that makes him a PERFECT spokesperson for DIR, his semi-humble request to the contrary notwithstanding. If I was merely trying for humor I would have picked either of two DIR divers on this board who have gone out of their way to harrass and intimidate non-DIR divers by acting like they really do know it all. Somehow, I feel Pug not only understands the bigger picture but has the humility to know when to choose his battles and how to persue them without being totally offensive.

I can't say I entirely disagree with you on this. I frequently ask him for advice myself.

Tom

What exactly does DIR stand for, or GUE??

I've already figured out that some are people's aliases (GI3), but I'm sure these others have to do with scuba ratings or something similar.

I am by no means a DIR diver... I can barely be considered a diver.. but to answer your question. DIR stands for Doing It Right. And GUE is the Global Underwater Explorers. Basicly, if you haven't gathered so far DIR is considered by some the be the safest/only safe way to dive. I don't know that much about it since I just started diving. But there's the short answer. For more info on GUE go to www.gue.com

Jessica

radagalf once bubbled...
What exactly does DIR stand for, or GUE??

I've already figured out that some are people's aliases (GI3), but I'm sure these others have to do with scuba ratings or something similar.

GUE is a training agency called Global Underwater Explorers. Their teaching method is based on a philosophy called DIR (doing it right) which is a holistic approach to diving. It incorporates specific gear configuration which is easily adaptable to any diving situation, physical and mental fitness for diving, development of exceptional diving skills and strong emphasis on buddy awareness.

GUE offers a class called DIR Fundamentals (DIRF) which offers the basic insight into what they are all about. It is more an interactive, informational seminar than a class, as there is no certification for taking it. It is however a good first step for ANY diver who is wanting to improve their skills.

DIR has a 'bad rap' due to the fact that some of it's proponents are sometimes overly vocal and often seem to look down their noses at anyone who is 'non DIR'. My experience has been that most of these overly vocal people are only internet educated as to DIR and have never actually taken the class, therefore do not really understand the entire concept.

I will add some links from previous posts below that were written by people who actually took a class for anyone wanting more information.

DIRF, a sobering experience

DIRF Trip Report

Trip Report--DIR Fundamentals--August 9-11--Boston, MA

I guess its too much to hope MHK would jump in on this, because I'm curious as well :)

My DIRF instructors tried to explain why I should go with breakable links, and because my knots were crap I did it for the class, but I rechecked GI's thinking and, agreeing with it, went back to the old way.

FWIW, I tend to go with what George says. It tends to be abrasive (there is a reason I lurk, and don't ask questions) but it is always well-thought-out (and subject to change and rational discussion, as well. See mask strap and long hose discussions).

Kane, pipe up! :wink:

jeff

WreckWriter once bubbled...
I thought it was interesting that various segments and personalities who espose or teach DIR techniques disagree on certain things (prime example being break-aways on bolt-snaps, where G3 says tie them all on and most GUE instructors are teaching tie-wraps or odd setups made with o-rings).

Just for the record, when I started this thread, the last poll choice was "Robert C.". Several of the regulators played with it after that.

My own answer was George.

Tom

William Hogarth Main should be on the list . along with all the other people who were DIR before it was DIR .
Joens

joens once bubbled...
William Hogarth Main should be on the list . along with all the other people who were DIR before it was DIR .
Joens

Yea, but he's no longer speaking his mind.

The real poll was between George and JJ, the others were just filler.

WW

WreckWriter once bubbled...

The real poll was between George and JJ, the others were just filler.

WW
In that case I will go with JJ as i think that GUE's mission is to reach people and WKPP's is to explore caves.
Joens

Back
Top Bottom