Who here knows anything about wine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was up working for Rafanelli the last four days and he gave me these!
The zin is rated by some as the best in the valley, all estate grown, hillside so the berries are smaller with thicker skins meaning a very bold red and high sugar = high alcohol, aged 18 mo in new french oak barrels.
If Dry Creek Valley is touted as home to the best zins in the world then this bottle could be considered one of the best of the best. The cab is actually priced higher.
Our ocean conditions might suck and the water is cold, but the wine around here makes up for it.
View attachment 745746
I hope you got paid more than that for four days of your time.

I worked in a NYC restaurant, we had tastings for training once a week, trips to vineyards regularly, the more you learn, you realize the less you know. I certainly have a great appreciation for wine, the craft, and history.

As a bit of a wine snob (prefer the Cabs, Malbecs, Bordeauxs, etc), these are some really good bottles. Dry Creek is a very well known and well respected growing area for Zin grapes. I haven't had the pleasure to taste either vintage, but based on where the grapes are from and the winemaker (a really good one!), these should yield some really good glasses.

Don't overchill it though. Serve it around 60 degrees and as it warms (if you don't use it all right away), keep the temp around the same 60-65 degrees. Went and read a bunch of reviews on both years and looks like the 2018 scores a little higher. The 2019, though, should be really good too.

You got yourself two really nice bottles there! Get some spicy food and enjoy it after a great cold water dive!!!!!

I really like the Kirkland brand box wines......especially the Cab. Just remember that just when you think that "box" is empty, just remove the bladder and you'll get a whole additional glass out of it.... Plus, the bladders are totally robust and can have other uses....

I cut the corner off and get the last few tablespoons out!

As a bit of a wine snob (prefer the Cabs, Malbecs, Bordeauxs, etc), these are some really good bottles. Dry Creek is a very well known and well respected growing area for Zin grapes. I haven't had the pleasure to taste either vintage, but based on where the grapes are from and the winemaker (a really good one!), these should yield some really good glasses.

Don't overchill it though. Serve it around 60 degrees and as it warms (if you don't use it all right away), keep the temp around the same 60-65 degrees. Went and read a bunch of reviews on both years and looks like the 2018 scores a little higher. The 2019, though, should be really good too.

You got yourself two really nice bottles there! Get some spicy food and enjoy it after a great cold water dive!!!!!
Normally Dave doesn’t just give this stuff away, so that’s why I’m kind of impressed. You can’t buy this stuff in stores, you have to either get it at a restaurant or buy it direct. He makes about 3500 cases a year of the cab and a little more of the zin.
Right now he said he has about 5500 customers and all of it sells out. You have to go on a waiting list in order to be in line to become a customer.
The 2018 cab I read on wine collector is priced at an average of $100 and the zin about $80, so not extremely high but respectable for a limited estate grown wine. He also sells grapes to other wineries.
I’m going to share it with my dive buddy after a dive, who’s been salivating over it ever since I mentioned I have it. He’s a huge zin fan, as am I.
I remember some zins and cabs I got from Alexander Valley Vineyards once that were pretty damn good too.

I once worked for a winery in Mildura ( which was 4 to5 hour drive from the nearest diveable water, the Murray does not count as diveable). Part of my package was a carton of wine a month. Occasionally there would be an informal tasting session on a Friday night, which was very pleasant. Until I made a comment about wine comes in two flavours, raspberry and lemonade. That was the end of my tastings :)

I was up working for Rafanelli the last four days and he gave me these!
The zin is rated by some as the best in the valley, all estate grown, hillside so the berries are smaller with thicker skins meaning a very bold red and high sugar = high alcohol, aged 18 mo in new french oak barrels.
If Dry Creek Valley is touted as home to the best zins in the world then this bottle could be considered one of the best of the best. The cab is actually priced higher.
Our ocean conditions might suck and the water is cold, but the wine around here makes up for it.
View attachment 745746

Great score. I always liked working at wineries, as they know how to thank a guy for a job well done. We only have a few bottles of that quality in our cellar, most are drinking wines rather than celebrating wines.

Normally Dave doesn’t just give this stuff away, so that’s why I’m kind of impressed. You can’t buy this stuff in stores, you have to either get it at a restaurant or buy it direct. He makes about 3500 cases a year of the cab and a little more of the zin.
Right now he said he has about 5500 customers and all of it sells out. You have to go on a waiting list in order to be in line to become a customer.
The 2018 cab I read on wine collector is priced at an average of $100 and the zin about $80, so not extremely high but respectable for a limited estate grown wine. He also sells grapes to other wineries.
I’m going to share it with my dive buddy after a dive, who’s been salivating over it ever since I mentioned I have it. He’s a huge zin fan, as am I.
I remember some zins and cabs I got from Alexander Valley Vineyards once that were pretty damn good too.
Greedy label envy! Which is extremely common - this stuff is expensive so it must be good so I must like it!

Give your buddy a blind test.

Go get 2 more bottles of mid rank crap Zin. Serve all 4 wines almost fully blind (fully blind would be 4 unknown wines, but 2 are already known so that horse has sailed). Provide 4 glasses in random order and ask the taster to rank the wines without knowing which wine is in which glass, and in this case the taster will have no knowledge of the 2 crap mystery wines - your job is to get in their head and talk up the mystery wines. You may be surprised by the results?

We regularly do fully blind tastings. No knowledge of the wines. A very humbling experience. The most well regarded and most expensive rarely rank at the top.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom