Who here in RI dives for little necks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikswi:
Im with `ya. I aint got a dry suit (like some people) but if you got the sites and your dialed in................I may be convinced to make the plunge and buy one.

well im gonna go tomorow......
so we will see

Gidds:
:geek:
Lemme alone, it's finals and I still have a headache. Take pity!

Wasn't trying to give you a hard time....

Finals.... I remember those.... its so good to be done with grad sch.... err.... oh yeah.... sorry I wasn't giving you a hard time.... :wink:

By the way... I am looking at the chart and I see another Potters Cove on the eastern side of Prudence Island, so there is more than one of them.

*slinks away to hide*

Lemme know......I aint got allot of disposable income this time of year but............I hope you find the neighborhood an wreak havok on the local population....

OK....all you conservationist's, I dont mean to decimate the population or create an unnatural balance.....It's sarcasm, deal with it.

Diesel298:
well im gonna go tomorow......
so we will see

Potters cove is next to the Toll booth. I have dove ther many times. We dive there when the ocean is too rouch at FT Wetherill the cove is usually as calm as a mill pond. Quahogs were strewen all over the sand in 20 ft of water. You could see there indentations. One guy said this was the best place in RI for Quahogs. You need to check up on the health of the area when shellfishing in the bay.

Taylors point may be the point below the bridge that juts out. I enjoy pottors cove because I never fail to find an old bottle. My buddy Earl found a 5 dollar bill even. I also found some small garden digging tools probably used for quahogging. Make sure you take a big enough bag because it seemed wall to wall with quahogs in places.

There is also a submarine rumored to be out there. Anyone dive it ? Deepest depth for me out there was 30 ft and the buddies inshore said our flag was near a large ship anchored out there.

Also a great night dive spot for watching the spider crab wars. One night we came across a large spider crab waving a big star fish above its head. The spider crabs are biggest I've ever encountered so be careful.

Here is one other place I use to find alot of litte necks, Newport first beach. A little past the breakers the water about 10 to 15 feet deep and you can feel them as you walk out. I would suggest not checking during red tide and you wont be able to get to them once the beach re opens for the summer.

When I lived in RI we use to hit Taylor point up alot. Good luck in your search.

ScubaSarus:
Potters cove is next to the Toll booth. I have dove ther many times. We dive there when the ocean is too rouch at FT Wetherill the cove is usually as calm as a mill pond. Quahogs were strewen all over the sand in 20 ft of water. You could see there indentations. One guy said this was the best place in RI for Quahogs. You need to check up on the health of the area when shellfishing in the bay.

Taylors point may be the point below the bridge that juts out. I enjoy pottors cove because I never fail to find an old bottle. My buddy Earl found a 5 dollar bill even. I also found some small garden digging tools probably used for quahogging. Make sure you take a big enough bag because it seemed wall to wall with quahogs in places.

There is also a submarine rumored to be out there. Anyone dive it ? Deepest depth for me out there was 30 ft and the buddies inshore said our flag was near a large ship anchored out there.

Also a great night dive spot for watching the spider crab wars. One night we came across a large spider crab waving a big star fish above its head. The spider crabs are biggest I've ever encountered so be careful.

Yes there is a sub out there.. or better said (was a sub)
its the G-1 aka SS19 1/2 aka "Seal"
it was sunk in 1921 as a Navy depth chagre test.
the avy was gonna salvage it but found it wasnt wotht the effort and put out bids for the salvege for scrap.. no one bid
it say half burried in the mud for a long time.. and eventually ( i think in the 60's)
a group salvaged from the mud up for scrap
so theres still a big hunk of steel out there somewhere, but probally completley burried..
ive never gone any further than inital research on this.. didnt sound like anything was even there..

well that was a waster of a hout..
well not really. no dive is a waste.. but i didnt find anything worth braggin about..
im gona try further north later in the week

Back
Top Bottom