• Yes, due to failed electronics

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • Yes, due to loss of gas in the rebreather

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Yes, for another reason not listed

Votes: 50 38.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First time l bailed out:
Tech dive, to 260ft, on the way backup, around 10 mins into the dive at around 180 feet. I had this overwhelming feeling that I had to get out of the water, RIGHT NOW. It wasn't rational and my anxiety just kept rising. Tried to calm down but it wouldn't go away, bailed out. Went away, completed deco. It could only have been CO2 breakthrough. Maybe channeling in the sorb?
  • Inspected my KISS Classic, wasn't the sorb, I had a hairline fracture in the head that was allowing exhale gas to by-pass the scrubber. Had to argue with KISS to get a replacement head.

Second time l bailed out:
Wreck dive, at about 310ft, on a Revo, I notice my PPO2 is high and climbing. I DIL flush, gets me to back to PPO2 1.0 but it goes up again to 1.4. Repeat DIL flush, same thing. I bailed out when it hit 1.6 and watched it climb to 2.0. Hit the trigger on my scooter and went home. I was able to go back onto the loop at 40 feet.
  • I had recently serviced my O2 reg, gave the tech specific instructions on the IP that I wanted, not what APEX service manual told him. We hooked up a flow meter and found the IP was way too high. We adjusted it. Now I check them after service.

Once (so far) Cell went dead at depth.
Did you bail out at depth? Or abort the dive relying on dil until 20'?

Only once.

I had been doing 50-60m dives all week on the walls in Little Cayman at Innerspace with DiveTech. It was the last dive of the trip. I was headed back to the boat at the top of the reef at 50' or so and off gassing after the wall dive. Just cruising along, not breathing hard, not working hard.

I felt a burning need to spit out my DSV.

PO2 was fine. Tried a Dil Flush. Still there. Theoretically (and according to the RMS) still had plenty of scrubber left. I was well within the scrubber duration.

Bailed out to NX50 and didn't go back on the loop since I only had about 10-15 minutes of deco left after bailing out. I felt fine after bailing out.

I suspect scrubber breakthrough but I really don't know. The unit wasn't flooded, scrubbers were dry, etc.

- brett

twice.

bad body position (being too heavy) and a little nose exhalation I wasn't paying attention to increased my WOB - at some point I couldn't hold my breath and bailed out.

first time bailed out and OC all the way up.
second time was able to get back to the loop.

solved with more training and really working to find out what went wrong:
1. body position - too much head up.
2. due to #1 and slightly dumping gas through nose unnoticed - not enough lung volmue.

proper position and more dives solved this.

Matan.

Did you bail out at depth? Or abort the dive relying on dil until 20'
Depth. Relatively shallow ,10 minutes into a no stop dive, decided to make use of the BOV.

We had modified my CCR into a sidemount rig and I flooded it on the first dive. Operator error threading the loop hose on a rolling boat.

I have only ever bailed out in training. I have not had to actually get off the loop of the Fathom in the 60+ hours I have been on it.

Diving a rEvo since 2013. I should have bailed out once but I was not able to. I had a massive panic attack coming up from a wreck. I was at 55M on the ascent with 100 mins of deco left and my breathing went off the charts for about 3 minutes. During those 3 minutes I absolutely knew that even if it meant a rapid ascent I could not get off the loop onto a 2nd stage.
I managed to get my breathing back to normal after about 3 minutes and the next day I ordered a BOV! I posted the reason for the panic attack on another thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom