• Yes, due to failed electronics

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • Yes, due to loss of gas in the rebreather

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Yes, for another reason not listed

Votes: 50 38.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would second that. At 30ft I have no problem doing an O2 flush when ascending since you're offgasing but if at first you don't succeed, try the dil button which will at least get you back to something in the 0.3-0.6 range....

On a demo dive? At 10 feet (what he said)?

Probably with dil you didn't analyze yourself? Possibly also with BO you didn't analyze yourself...

Dil flush, or bail to OC? I don't know that there is one, single "right answer" in that situation.

It was a demo dive and at 10 feet. If I was carrying my own personal BO cylinder, I would probably go to that and be done. First principles and all that. No bonus points for staying on the loop in that situation.

On a demo dive? At 10 feet (what he said)?

Probably with dil you didn't analyze yourself? Possibly also with BO you didn't analyze yourself...

Dil flush, or bail to OC? I don't know that there is one, single "right answer" in that situation.

It was a demo dive and at 10 feet. If I was carrying my own personal BO cylinder, I would probably go to that and be done. First principles and all that. No bonus points for staying on the loop in that situation.
Depends on your level of experience and how you were trained. My training is to stay on the loop so bailing out is fairly low on the list of actions taken to resolve an issue. It's definitely on there, but it takes a while to get there.

I would second that. At 30ft I have no problem doing an O2 flush when ascending since you're offgasing but if at first you don't succeed, try the dil button which will at least get you back to something in the 0.3-0.6 range....
Our friend gave me 45 minutes on this while we were working out one morning recently!

At 30 feet, you're not going to tox yourself but it always seems to me that a boatload of **** goes wrong at the same time. Unless you've got the previously mentioned "blub" thing going on, the loop is probably ok and a dil flush won't hurt you wherever you may be. I hear a lot of stories about people bailing out and forgetting to close the DSV, which creates a whole new monkey#$%& to deal with so unless the rig is flooding or you feel funny, staying on it is probably the way to go.

Two Bailouts -
#1 was just after my Mod1 course when I did a fairly long dive in about 20 metres and towards the end of the dive my HUD went nuts to alert me to look at the handset - unfortunately it wasn't always easy to spot the problem on the horrible Poseidon paddle so I bailed and while doing a stop in 3m realised that the O2 pressure was very low.

#2 was also on the recreational version of the Poseidon (no manual adds), the ADV was very very tight after being serviced and I couldn't get it to fire during descent which wasn't a lot of fun so bailed.

Two Bailouts -
#2 was also on the recreational version of the Poseidon (no manual adds), the ADV was very very tight after being serviced and I couldn't get it to fire during descent which wasn't a lot of fun so bailed.

Recreational Rebreather -- isn't that an oxymoron?

No manual adds; yuck!

Recreational Rebreather -- isn't that an oxymoron?

No manual adds; yuck!
Its a stepping stone to a tech rebreather - fortunately the Poseidon is upgradeable

Its a stepping stone to a tech rebreather - fortunately the Poseidon is upgradeable
To which one has to ask why? As in why would you buy a Closed-Circuit machine that's been deliberately restricted and requires money to make into a working machine?

There definitely are good reasons for a SCR, diving in places without high pressure oxygen for example.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom