Who doesnt like Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've lived in Florida since my dad got stationed at MacDill AFB when I was five. For the next 30 years I wanted out. It's hot. Very hot. We get a lot of tourists, and they're often unfriendly and tough to be around.

A few years ago I got interested in a few outdoor activities (boating, diving etc). I started to like it a lot more. Growing up here, I went to the beach fairly regularly but never thought much of it.

If your friend isn't interested in Florida specific activities then it's just another place.. but hotter. I can see why they might not like it.

As for hurricanes that other people mention. They happen, plan for them. A good generator is a smart investment for a homeowner here. If you buy a house in a community with buried power lines it's not that much of an issue. We don't have too many tornadoes (some, but not like other places), and I don't think we've had an earthquake in a century or two.

You can use some of the money you get from selling the chains and snow tires to buy your generator. Instead of paying the snow plow guy in the winter, you just keep paying the lawn guy.

Florida would be so much better if the people I didn't like, left. Or started going to Arizona to winter...

To all the Florida residents:

Is there anyone who moved to FL from other areas of USA and wished they did not move? I love Florida because it seems to have such diversity in terms of diving, from reefs, to wrecks and caves etc. I was hoping to move there (someday) but I was talking to a former colleague of mine who moved near Miami area and does not like it. She is not a diver so all these things do not matter to her but I was wondering if there is anyone who dives, moved to Florida and then thought "What did I just do???."

Anyone ...???

I'm from San Diego and for 10 years couldn't wait for an opportunity to return to California. Now that I'm diving, I've found something that makes me want to be here. I love the drift diving in Jupiter and doing a bi weekly night dive at BHB. I know there's diving in California, I just doubt it would be the same.

---------- Post added October 24th, 2013 at 01:43 PM ----------

South Florida (Palm Beach/Broward/Miami-Dade):

I love the diving and the weather, and many of the other outdoor activities.

I dislike the overcrowding, rude/selfish/mean attitude from many of the transplants and winter inhabitants. Tons of terrible drivers, and relatively high crime. I put up with these negatives due to the positives and having a good job here.

Orlando/Tampa metro areas are also way overcrowded, with congested roads and relatively high crime, but less of the attitude.

Everywhere else in FL I have been fantastic...but good jobs in my line of work are scarce in those locations.

Tim, what do you do? You might have told me that night we dove at BHB, but I don't recall. And don't forget the Treasure Coast, we count as South Florida too!!

My perspective my be a little different, since I just moved here 15 months ago.

Outdoor activities (diving, biking, kayaking)
Close to everything
City type lifestyle
Miami/South Beach
Beaches
Housing styles-beats the Midwest where I am from
No snow or shoveling
No leaf raking
Ethnic foods
Cuban Coffee
Diversity of people
The sun hitting my skin year around
time passes VERY fast here ( may be due to lack of seasons)
Seeing the different wildlife(gators, lizards, wading birds)
No change of seasons
Being able to open my windows for half the year

Dislikes:
Traffic (Not as bad as DC Metro area)
Mowing the lawn year around
Thick ass grass, a lot like quick sand but green
Rude people
honking horns from cars when the light turns green
Cost of living (Close if not the same to DC Metro, but lower incomes)
Lower wages
Insurance rates (higher for auto, renters, & home)
Lack of good pizza
No good fresh apple cider (really miss that right now)

All and all, I would not move back north. We love it down here and all that is has to offer. I would like to see less snow birds and the old folks that drive 35 in a 55 zone. We live in south Palm Beach County. Oh, and other things that I think would make it better. FL seems to be behind the times in some things. Driving while texting, aggressive drivers, police presence in 95 and turn pike.

and I don't think we've had an earthquake in a century or two.

Just thought I'd correct you. Three or four years would be more accurate. There is a little known fault in the Gulf of Mexico, and it murmers every now and then. A few years ago, if you were up early enough, there were tremors that could be felt in the Venice, Punta Gorda, Fort Myers area, but they were easy to miss.

I've lived in Florida all of my life. Mostly in SW Florida, but did 13 years in Tallahassee. No desire to live anywhere else (well, maybe a little during snowbird season). Also, would never live on the East Coast of Florida, either. Way too congested for me. I'm 2 1/2 hours from the east coast, and 4 from the keys. Close enough for me, and I absolutely LOVE diving in the gulf.

My perspective my be a little different, since I just moved here 15 months ago.

Outdoor activities (diving, biking, kayaking)
Close to everything
City type lifestyle
Miami/South Beach
Beaches
Housing styles-beats the Midwest where I am from
No snow or shoveling
No leaf raking
Ethnic foods
Cuban Coffee
Diversity of people
The sun hitting my skin year around
time passes VERY fast here ( may be due to lack of seasons)
Seeing the different wildlife(gators, lizards, wading birds)
No change of seasons
Being able to open my windows for half the year

Dislikes:
Traffic (Not as bad as DC Metro area)
Mowing the lawn year around
Thick ass grass, a lot like quick sand but green
Rude people
honking horns from cars when the light turns green
Cost of living (Close if not the same to DC Metro, but lower incomes)
Lower wages
Insurance rates (higher for auto, renters, & home)
Lack of good pizza
No good fresh apple cider (really miss that right now)

All and all, I would not move back north. We love it down here and all that is has to offer. I would like to see less snow birds and the old folks that drive 35 in a 55 zone. We live in south Palm Beach County. Oh, and other things that I think would make it better. FL seems to be behind the times in some things. Driving while texting, aggressive drivers, police presence in 95 and turn pike.

what kind of pizza looking for? thin, medium (aka hand-tossed), or pan? there are a few good places, but tend to be the smaller hole in the walls.

i miss really good cider myself --- the jugs cider at whole foods come close...

i also hate the idiots who speed thru the active school zones -- 1 cause it's illegal and gonna end up hitting a kid that way :(
had one cut me off this morning weaving thru traffic and went thru the school zone doing 40-50 easy.

I moved to Ft Lauderdale from Las Vegas and hated it until I started diving. Now I love diving here and only seriously dislike NJ-south. All the things everyone else dislikes but add that really good food is rare or 45 minutes away.

I love FL. Currently living in Central FL, but hopefully I will find some engineering work in S. FL in the next few years so I can get in the water more conveniently.

OK, I admit it: I am a snowbird.

I have relatives who are snowbirds, and my wife and I used to visit them for a week every winter. Not long after we retired and we had finished such a week, I asked my wife what was stopping us from staying longer. For the past few years, we have spent our Februaries in the Pompano Beach area. We have enjoyed it. This year it will be February and half of March. If it were not for the inane way they cycle their traffic lights, it would be very nice indeed. (I could write an essay....)

We look forward to it every year. Of course, we are not there in the summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom