Who dives with a snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many divers who use a BP/wing do their surface swims on their back, it is easy, efficient, faster, more comfortable and more stable even in rough conditions and allows the diver to navigate and keep an eye out for motor boats and jet skis.

Bingo, simple and to the point.

On the other hand, this was never mentioned in my OWD course, but neither was snorkel in any form. :D

I have one in my bag but rarely use it. I do my surface swiming on my back unless I bring my scooter. Still no snorkel.

I use my snorkel swimming out with my BP/Wing, I'm usually upright/slanted back. My mouth is about 6 inches above the water. I don't like timing my breathing with the waves when there is a chop, especially if I'm facing into the wave. My snorkel opening is higer and usually above the water, it's a lot easier to breathe from the snorkel when the ocean is sloppy.

It is rumored that some states write tickets for failure to incorporate a snorkel with your equipment. Anyone ever hear that, or is it a wive's tale?

Never heard of it, but it's a great idea.:D

It is rumored that some states write tickets for failure to incorporate a snorkel with your equipment. Anyone ever hear that, or is it a wive's tale?

There is probably some park someplace that will just as some get all nutso over solo divers. I really doubt that they have scuba police snorkel patrols what with Homeland Security not having anything better to do, on those off days I guess they invoke the Patriot Act and go code orange, Nemrod is divng without a snorkel, calling all patrols, alert--alert-- get Nemrod and haul him in, code orange, code orange--alert--alert, yeah they do that:dork2:. Did you know that the USA, land of the free, is on a scale of 1-100% only ranks a 83.7 in terms of personal freedom. Australia and Canada and several other countries rank in the high 90s for personal freedoms. N

I believe this is true in some California locations.

Here is one example.

I have come across other posts recounting enforcement.

pete

Back
Top Bottom