Who dives their own boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anchors, I am not happy with any of them. The problem with little boats is storage and 300 feet of rode up front and 100 feet spare rode in back and two anchors take up a lot of room and it is just all a big headache.

Rubber boats are nice because dropping a tank on them they just bounce, now I am always yelling at my wife to stop dropping the tanks on the gunwales. Arrrggghhhh.

N

Thanks Nem, I hear ya I used to have a 22' mako c-c and had the same problem with anchor rode. The big plastic tubs were my best attempt at organization with those. I recently made a single pole ladder and platform for a friends boat out of aluminum and will post some pics when I get a chance to photo it.

Hmmm... I'm interested in diving my own boat. The only problem is that I don't know exactly where she ended up when she sank 30 years ago.

I too have a 14ft Achilles, Rigid Hull Inflatable. It is powered by a 50hp Johnson and has consol and bench seating. It is great for two divers although I have dove three off it on several occasions. Had it out in three footers to do a dive last night and it handled awesome!

I do not leave anyone aboard and generally tie up to the Thunder Bay Marine Sanctuary buoys. When no buoy is present, first diver down sets the anchor. Never worried about pirates while we have been below but on Saturday we came up to an additional boat, that happen to be manned by conservation officers who provide security to the sanctuary. First time any of us have ever been approached or questioned about our underwater activities. It was good to see them. REMEMBER: Only take pictures and leave bubbles in a sanctuary or else……… face Federal charges.

Jeff

Boats are great. Have had everything from a 15' Renegade flats boat up to a 34' Fountain. Problem is none were any good for diving.

Experience is not a problem. I know and trust the people on my boat and they know my routines and customs.

Got to find the right boat is all.

I use a Shamrock 246 inboard with full platform and custom ladder. It makes a great dive boat for up to about 6 divers. I have tank racks for 14 tanks. Only down side is it's not real fast, cruises about 25 mph comfortably. It's a walk around cabin which I like and you can keep gear and equipment in the boat.

Mike

I dive a 15 ft Bonito w/ 48 hp big johnson....used it only when AOW card was required..:mooner:...walk through windsheild, 40mph....pull it with a Chrysler Cirrus....hee hee....go anywhere cheap.:D

We dive in our 25' Cobia (No Smokin') with a ladder and platform, both custom. We always leave someone topside, mainly to get someone out of the water quickly in case a Mr. No Shoulders appears.:no

There is a common misconception that you have to have a "dive" specific boat to dive from, something like that dive resort's boat (you know the 50 foot flybridge sedan cruiser) you visited last spring has but as can be seen from this eclectic list almost any boat will do for diving. No jetskiers have shown up yet but anything that floats can be dived from. There are only a few dive specific boats ever made, dive boats are built by their owners, not bought (kinda like Jeeps).

I like a boat I can put on a trailer and tow 3,000 miles. This allows us to explore from the Gulf of Baha to the frigid Great Lakes to the muddy coast of Texas down to the warm waters of the Gulf Stream. Obviously I value portability, some want a 45 footer and just figure if they get there they will do it in the boat and not behind a pickup truck. Either way, my point is, one of the first choices to make is do you want a trailer boat or a boat that will stay at a marina forever? After you figure that out you can move on to outboard vs inboard and all the other this brand vs that and cabin vs cuddy vs center console, new vs used etc.

Right up front is the cost of fuel going forward. A 26 footer with twin 250s will burn fuel at prodigious rates, maybe 1.0 MPG, a 17 foot open skiff with a 90 might get 8 MPG. Is it just you and your wife? or is it the entire local dive club, in which case maybe a "club" purchase is in order?

Dogs, wives (husbands), airplanes and boats are really hard to share.

N

Back
Top Bottom