Who carries an extra mask with them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Loneranger:
I would think for cave or wreck penetration it might be needed, but for rec diving I would just come up if there was an issue...Redundent for my diving anyway...

have you ever tried in 3 knot current (nice nostril flush) or, for example, when you do not have any reference and do a free water column slow ascent? very hard to monitor your gauges if you are blind as a bat (like i pretty much am without mask). I do not like putting my buddy in a position of guide dog if not absolutely needed.

There is only one emergency in diving, namely running out of breathing gas! Everything else is just an inconvenience. Sure not having a mask can make an ascent more difficult, but with a buddy even in rough conditions you can make it to the surface. We are talking about recreational dive profiles here, so there are no decompression stops to miss, and even a safety stop is only recommended not required.

As I said earlier in this thread, I carry a spare. For me the added security of knowing that the spare mask is available to me during the dive makes it worth it. By the way I have switched to the spare mask when the plastic frame on my primary mask cracked and leaked. Having the spare made the difference between a 5 minute dive and a 45 minute dive. There are lots of divers who do not feel that carrying a spare mask in the water, or even having one available on the surface, is worth it and that is fine. Its just diving and this spare mask is only one small tool to make things easier for some people.

Use one, don't use one, it really is up to you.

Mark Vlahos

The mask/no mask thing is primarily about the water temp. It's a totally different animal in warm water vs. cold water.

For an NDL dive you are going to the surface if you have no mask and it will probably be a quick ride. A buddy will hopefully help you gauge a safe ascent rate. Obviously sans buddy you would need to do your best to have a safe ascent rate but it will be hard to maintain.

In cold water deco stops are not a reality in my opinion even with a buddy. I decided to carry a 2nd mask for all deco dives.

--Matt

I carry a second mask in my left drysuit pocket. When I dive wet. I have a right thigh pocket ( Dive right ) that is where the mask goes.

Reason for a spare mask underwater. Anything can happen, mask leak, strap breaking, or accidental removal from a foreign object..Fin in the face..I wear contacts and well if my mask goes...my eyes are shut. I can easily reach my spare. So I continue my merry way. I rather be redundant and not have to lean on a buddy. especially if it is an insta-buddy.

Safe dives

I don't carry an extra mask during a dive. I don't do overhead or deco dives, so if I were to lose mine somehow I can call the dive & ascend without one.

But I do keep a spare mask in my gear bag, as I have seen masks damaged on the boat as well as lost overboard while under way. I have a hard time finding a mask that fits me without leaking, so I keep one that fits in my gear bag, safely inside its platic box, just in case.

Left thigh pocket on DS and 7mm wet for all overhead and/or deco dives (either mine or my wife's, depending on who's initiating jumps and has the extra spools for that). During recreational dives I usually don't bring an extra mask.

Now that I have pockets on my suit I do.

Right thigh pocket, every dive.

I bring a spare to the dive site/on the boat, but I've never taken a spare down with me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom