White's Fusion undergarments for very cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I purchased a White's Fusion with Mk2 undies about a month ago, and yesterday I did my first real cold dive in it (39F). I was noticeably cold at that point, but really quite comfortable for extended periods of time when I used that combo in 55F for nearly an hour. So I'm just looking for suggestions to make dives in that kind of water temp more comfortable. Obviously the Mk3 is one option, but I wanted to get some more possibilities before I purchase anything.

Thanks,

Jim

I wear a Diving Concepts 200g Thinsulate vest under my White's undergarment, and a thin layer of fleece (skiing long underwear) under that. It helps a lot.

I wear a layer of "Hot Chilly's" and am comfortable but cold after one hour in 41 degrees with the Mark II. Hot Chilly's is long underwear for skiing. Very little bulk, but adds quite a bit of warmth. Do not know if they still exist, bought them quite a while ago, but something similar should work.

I "tried" to dive mine this weekend with my Weezle Extreme+...needless to say, the weezle is going to get sold. Nothing against it, it just didn't work well with the fusion. I'm very sad :( I will be looking into the whites undergarments as well as a few other less bulky options

Thanks for the tips. I think I'm going to have a look for a thinsulate or fleece jumpsuit to try under the Mk2 first. If that isn't enough I guess I'll look at splurging for the Mk3.

Now I have not dove my fusion in 39* water yet but I have been in 42 with MK2 and 2 layers of polypro long underweare like these. That was the first dive I ever did in my fusion so I was not sure what to expect. I was plenty warm for 45 min. I have since been diving in 44* water for 45 - 55 min with the mk2 and 1 layer of the polypro underweare and been plenty warm. I have tried the same dives with just the MK2 and was pretty cold after the dive and had to add the second layer for the next dive. I do not get cold very easily, and these dives were not strenuous. Hope this helps...

Oh yeah, and for my base layer I am wearing a drysit shirt and pants that I used for cycling (very thin wicking)

Phil

Take a looks at Carol Davis, Style 3, polartec undergarment/baselayer as well. (General note: If unsure about sizing, call her!). I bought one because of recommendations here on SB, and so far like it a lot.

p.s. style 2 is a little cheaper, but for me 3 is worth it (even as a guy) because if you need to go for #2 between dives, then you need to go, and an asszipper can make things more convenient.

Take a looks at Carol Davis, Style 3, polartec undergarment/baselayer as well. (General note: If unsure about sizing, call her!). I bought one because of recommendations here on SB, and so far like it a lot.

p.s. style 2 is a little cheaper, but for me 3 is worth it (even as a guy) because if you need to go for #2 between dives, then you need to go, and an asszipper can make things more convenient.

But how warm are they?

...the weezle is going to get sold. Nothing against it, it just didn't work well with the fusion.

Why didn't the Weezle work? I have an MK3, and it's insides are the same as the Weezle, with a fleece inside lining and some kind of outer shell, making it bulker than the Weezle. I don't own a Fusion, and am wondering if my MK3 wouldn't work with one.

Why didn't the Weezle work? I have an MK3, and it's insides are the same as the Weezle, with a fleece inside lining and some kind of outer shell, making it bulker than the Weezle. I don't own a Fusion, and am wondering if my MK3 wouldn't work with one.

As you pull the fusion up and the lycra compresses the weezle...the air in the weezle works its way up my body, so by the time I get to my chest and arms I look like the Michelin man...It takes FOREVER to get it all inside the fusion. Which I'm kind of OK with if it were the only problem. Unfortunately all that bulkiness prevented any flexibility that I should have gained from the fusion. I couldn't bend to put on my jets, I couldn't reach my exhaust valve or my d rings. I was really disappointed, because I love how that weezle feels otherwise

Back
Top Bottom