White's Fusion undergarments for very cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick, I dive a Fusion with a Mk3. It's a little annoying, working the sleeves and legs down to the ends of the suit, but it's doable and I'm getting better at it.

Rick, I dive a Fusion with a Mk3. It's a little annoying, working the sleeves and legs down to the ends of the suit, but it's doable and I'm getting better at it.

I gotta try one of those things.

But how warm are they?

Compared to what? All I can say is that it's warmer than my 200g Tilos "Polartex" base-layer, and I assumed it was similar to the highly praised xerotherm polartec power stretch base-layers in terms of material, but I don't know for sure since 4th element doesn't list the exact fabric composition of their undergarments. The CDs are cheaper and of 1-piece design (xeros = 2-piece), which I preferred for the base-layer, hence I went with them. They are made of 284 gr Polartec Power Stretch (70% Polyester, 23% Nylon, 7% Lycra): https://www.cdsportswear.com/techinfo.htm

The design/material is bodytight or bodygripping, (unless you buy one that's too large), so there aren't any folds or such that would add to weight requirements (unnecessary folds of fabric) without increasing warmth, and since they are stretchy, your mobility isn't affected.

I bought mine because I wasn't warm enough in my 200g Tilos polartex base-layer of slightly different, but similar, composition + xerotherm arctics (in a shell suit). I tried adding a loose 240g multi-layer fleece undergarment (the cheap but good ebay one), and that combo kept me more warmer than I wanted, but it just took too much weight, so I sold the ebay thing and went with Carol Davis. My hands are still cold since I don't have dry gloves.

What temps are you diving in? I have been researching the Xerotherms as well...

What temps are you diving in? I have been researching the Xerotherms as well...

I dive where you'll be diving (temps down to about 45 deg). I use a Bare CT200 and sometimes a Carol Davis polartec base undergarment for the waters around here. A 12mm hood from Otter Bay keeps my head warm.

I have drygloves with DC rings but don't use them. I use the Deep See dry comfort gloves and my hands get chilled after about 50 minutes to an hour. Not cold, but chilly.

<snip> I don't own a Fusion, and am wondering if my MK3 wouldn't work with one.

As an additional data point, I use the Mk3 under a Fusion as well. With a thin set of DuoFold underwear under the Mk3, that's all I wear under the Fusion, and it's quite warm and flexible.

This has been scootering in 42 degree water for about 45 minutes.

About the only thing that's been inconvenient is getting the Mk3 down into the ankles; the Mk3 is big enough that it's a bit of stuffing. Otherwise it's easy for me.

All the best, James

I'm in the process of buying my first drysuit and I'm ready to buy the White's Fusion but the MK3 doesn't work for me. I was thinking about getting a 300g polartec undergarment and using REI midweight MTS thermals under that. Do you think that will be enough in temps ranging from 45-55 and not very active dives (photo taking)?

Michelle, the problem is that people vary enormously in their ability to stay warm underwater. For me, the garments you describe are not adequate at all. But I know a number of people who dive DUI 300g fleece undergarments in Puget Sound (similar temperatures) and find them satisfactory. I don't know how active they are in their dives, though, or how long they tend to stay down. I do a lot of hovering, and usually intend a dive of at least 60 minutes.

RE: Weezle undergarments under a Fusion.
I don't have a Fusion (yet!) but I know several divers who do successfully wear Weezle Extreme + under their Fusions. They don't seem to have any particular difficulty in getting the suit on over the undergarment (I've watched them do it). I suppose it depends, like everything regarding exposure protection, on the fit of both items on the individual diver. But Weezles are not out of the question, and they are super warm even in 39 degree Great Lakes water.

RE: Weezle undergarments under a Fusion.
I don't have a Fusion (yet!) but I know several divers who do successfully wear Weezle Extreme + under their Fusions. They don't seem to have any particular difficulty in getting the suit on over the undergarment (I've watched them do it). I suppose it depends, like everything regarding exposure protection, on the fit of both items on the individual diver. But Weezles are not out of the question, and they are super warm even in 39 degree Great Lakes water.

Yes the weezle would probably be fine if you have plenty of room in your bag suit...Unfortunately mine is very close in size and with the amount of air the weezle traps on the surface makes it darn near impossible for me to get on. I had to abort a dive 2 weeks ago, because I was simply exhausted by the time I got dressed in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom