White Balanace / Photo Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm using Photo Shop 7.0 and it opens the RAW file as a .jpg file.

Do I need to acquire additional software to accomplish what you describe?

the K

PS7 should not see RAW files directly unless you have an older version that came with a converter. I had to find two old plug-in versions to down load because I bought PS7 after they stopped packaging the converter with it. The RAWShooter has much better control than the plug-ins I have. It is also easier to use. I love the price too - FREE. It can't hurt to download it and give it a try.

I do my underwater shots with a Canon A620. This camera is quite deluxe with the exception of not having a RAW mode. For this camera I've had better color accuracy overall by calibrating the WB manually against a white slate at depth. It's a quick process with the button layout on the A620 though-- some of my older digital cameras were a real pain to set manual WB.

The other advantage to setting the WB in the camera is a lot less work in PhotoShop after the dive. In my experience, only around 5% need any color correction. All of these are ambient light shots, however-- no flash.

The Kraken:
I'm using Photo Shop 7.0 and it opens the RAW file as a .jpg file.

Do I need to acquire additional software to accomplish what you describe?

the K

The Yoda's right there something amiss here. What is the extension of your raw file? What camera? If you just click it and it opens as a jpg, it must have been a jpg. Some cameras will create a raw file with a jpg thumnail. Others will offer to create a raw and full size jpg both. Are you sure you are opening a raw?

Enigmatic:
I do my underwater shots with a Canon A620. This camera is quite deluxe with the exception of not having a RAW mode. For this camera I've had better color accuracy overall by calibrating the WB manually against a white slate at depth. It's a quick process with the button layout on the A620 though-- some of my older digital cameras were a real pain to set manual WB.

The other advantage to setting the WB in the camera is a lot less work in PhotoShop after the dive. In my experience, only around 5% need any color correction. All of these are ambient light shots, however-- no flash.

I agree. If you don't have raw available, manual WB is the way to go. I shoot raw but since I can do a manual WB with one button push, I do. That way the review pic is closer to what I will get when I post process later. I have had camera that were a PITA too. Gotta go thru a series of menus every time. They obviously weren't thinking of us poor UW people when they designed that.

It's a Fuji FunPix E900.

I took a test shot in RAW format to fiddle around with it.
Downloaded it to the computer . . . started 7.0 and opened the file as a .jpg file. Should I be opening it in a RAW format instead?

the K-odak Kid

My RAW pics out of the camera are xxxxxx.ORF and don't open automaticly as JPEG. PS7 does not even see these files.

What does the original pic file extension look like. If it comes out of the camera as xxxxxx.jpg then you may not have the setting on the camera right. If it comes out of the camera with a different extension (I don't know what Fuji looks like) then it must be going through a conversion somewhere.

Can you post a step by step of how you open the file in PS7? That might help determine how this is happening.

Downloaded to the Fuji software and it saves it as a RAW file. Even shows that as the file extension.

Opened 7.0, went to "browse" and opened the RAW file as a *.jpg

I don't know . . . could have been wrong.

Just going to download RAWShooter and go from there.

the K

I'm thinking it was a *.RAF format ???

Too tired to mess with it tonight.

Downloaded the RAWShooter Essentials, you have to register it before you can use it, but it won't let me register it.

Looks as if I'm relegated to a life of *.jpg files.

Oh well . . .

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom