White Balanace / Photo Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken

He Who Glows in the Dark Waters (ADVISOR)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
What is the general recommendation for color correction?

Set the white balance in the dive environment or do the color correction in Photo Shop?

the K

if you can set it UW you will have a greater advantage...even with PS it isn't easy to add to the picture what wasn't there in the firstplace.

1) If you are shooting raw, you can set your WB with the camera just for the purpose of seeing a better image in the replay but you will do the "real" WB adjustment in your computer when to do the conversion. Best!

2) If you are NOT shooting raw, it is important to get your WB correct in the camera because you will be diminishing your pics quality while trying to adjust it in PS.

#1 is easiest and best.

You need to manually set the white balance on your camera underwater at the depth and angle you are shooting at. As the light changes, so will the wb so you need to do it again.

If you are shooting RAW, you do not need to do the WB underwater.

If you are shooting any other (jpeg etc) you will need to set the WB underwater for the best results. Note that WB assumes you are not using flash :wink:

If you don't have manual white balance on your camera you can set it for fluorescent WB and that should pump up the red.

Of course I'm just talking to hear my head rattle on this one... I always let the Optio auto WB. :D

If you don't have manual WB, and don't have RAW, I've been told "cloudy" most closely represents natural balance underwater. Some also use "sunny". Have never before heard the recommendation of flourescent.

alcina:
If you are shooting any other (jpeg etc) you will need to set the WB underwater for the best results. Note that WB assumes you are not using flash :wink:

Actually if you use the flash (not for Macro) when you set the white balance it takes it into consideration...I don't see that much of a difference though if with or with out flash

justleesa:
Actually if you use the flash (not for Macro) when you set the white balance it takes it into consideration...I don't see that much of a difference though if with or with out flash

That's probably true. I would imagine it depends on how far you are from your subject. If you set the WB with the flash on, but the flash is too far from your subject to really light it, then I can see that there wouldn't be much of a difference.

If you are going to use your flash for colour, then I would say that you can forget about setting your white balance. Internal flashes are usually only really useful for subjects closer than around 6 or so feet (in relatively clear water) YMMV :)

Back
Top Bottom