White Balanace / Photo Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have PS7 so I have to use RAWShooter to convert my pics to JPEG. It has a great white balance tool and it's free!

I used to WB in the camera but sometimes the edges would turn pinkish - I gather that they were areas that were not balanced correctly due to depth or light condition changes. The WB on RAW files in the computer is more even and you don't have to keep changing WB as you change depths in the water. WB is much better in the computer than in the water for me.

This Fuji I have offers several types of options:
N = natural light setting, suppresses the flash
S = shutter preferred
A = aperature preferred
M = manual
3 or 4 different light source type setting (flourescent is one)
Manually set white balance
RAW format

So, at this point, I should be shooting and saving in RAW format in the manual mode with no white balance correction?

Does Adobe Photo Shop 7.0 have the capability to process and edit RAW format?

the K-odak Brownie Camera

I use RAWShooter, a free program to convert RAW files for use with PhotoShop. Here's a link:

http://esd.element5.com/demoreg.html?productid=545269&sessionid=346519787&random=b7ccd6d24f4d93f4c1c31582ff618884

I eased my way to manual mode, RAW file format, and using white balance. You have more experience than I did so I'd say you can handle them all now. They are the way to go for underwater pictures. Things are just not as easy as topside so using all the tools to get the best picture is the name of the game for me.

The Kraken:
Does Adobe Photo Shop 7.0 have the capability to process and edit RAW format?

the K-odak Brownie Camera

Hmmm you know i'm not 100% sure.
I have Adobe photoshop 7.0 also and there are 2 references to 'RAW' in the Help section.
But I don't think it's the 'RAW' that you or I are thinking of.

Adobe Photoshop 7 Help:
The Raw format is designed to accommodate images saved in undocumented formats, such as those created by scientific applications. Compressed files, such as PICT and GIF, cannot be opened using this format.

I wouldn't worry greatly about PS 7 not having the ability to process RAW as most cameras that have a RAW function ship with software that allows the user to open and edit RAW files.

Just my 2 cents..

If my memory serves me, I think PS7 was the version that had the ACR (raw converter) as a separate plug-in they sold for about $50. Since the later versions came with ACR, they discontinued selling the separate plug-in. You can legally buy the plug-in from anyone that has upgraded, or better yet you can upgrade yourself. It would be money well spent. CS2 is way better than PS7 and if it gets you into shooting raw it is a better investment toward better images than any WB cards. You can use anything to get close with manual WB - sand, your hand, etc.

Also, in my experience the converters that come free with the cameras not only slow down the workflow, they just don't cut it.

If you have no manual white balance setting on your camera and don't have or don't want to use RAW you can use this process in Photoshop to correct photos taken without a strobe on "auto" white balance.

Kraken,

Shooting in RAW means you don't have to recalibrate your wb everytime you change depth, but there are drawbacks:

1) it takes ages to write a RAW file to your camera's memory card (mine takes five seconds),
2) RAW files are big files so you fill your card faster, and
3) it takes a while to set your computer up with the PhotoShop plug-ins to import and handle RAW files.

These aren't huge problems if you're a keen photographer shooting deliberately, and you begin your dive with a clean card.

But for people just firing happy snaps then RAW could be an overkill. Sure you will lose a bit of data shooting in super-high-quality JPEG, but not much. It's up to you. My advice would be to experiment with each format and work out what's best for you.

discrepancy:
Kraken,

Shooting in RAW means you don't have to recalibrate your wb everytime you change depth, but there are drawbacks:

1) it takes ages to write a RAW file to your camera's memory card (mine takes five seconds),
2) RAW files are big files so you fill your card faster, and
3) it takes a while to set your computer up with the PhotoShop plug-ins to import and handle RAW files.

These aren't huge problems if you're a keen photographer shooting deliberately, and you begin your dive with a clean card.

But for people just firing happy snaps then RAW could be an overkill. Sure you will lose a bit of data shooting in super-high-quality JPEG, but not much. It's up to you. My advice would be to experiment with each format and work out what's best for you.

Of course it's up to everyone to choose their settings but I will have to disagree with the premise here. If someone just wanted to take “happy snaps” (love the term BTW) they probably wouldn’t be here asking questions and they probably wouldn’t want to recalibrate the WB constantly. Happy Snappers buy disposable cameras and shoot blue pictures of fish in the distance.

Yes, it will take longer to write a raw file. Some cameras take longer than 5 seconds. But if you are trying to produce the best image possible, it’s easily worth it.

As to using more space on the card, yep sure does. With a 1 or 2GB card it shouldn’t be a problem. It’s not how many pix you shoot, it’s how many keepers you get.

The difference in data between raw and JPG is more than "a bit," it's substantial.

I have seen many UW photographers dragging their feet going into raw but eventually, anyone that really is concerned about getting the best images they can from their camera, end up shooting raw. Why wait?

Gilligan:
If you have no manual white balance setting on your camera and don't have or don't want to use RAW you can use this process in Photoshop to correct photos taken without a strobe on "auto" white balance.

Hey Gilligan any advice how to correct photos with Paint Shop Prp X? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Joe B

The Kraken is smarter than he looks --- wait, that didn't come out right :D.

He has prior photography experience so I believe he can handle higher functions. He has the basics and he just needs to adjust the tools of the trade for under water use. Shooting in manual mode, WB for shots over 3' away (best if done in computer not camera), and use of RAW are all things he could handle pretty easy. Besides, he's rich and buying more memory won't hinder him :D.

The RAWShooter to PhotoShop workflow is not difficult at all. Open RS, Select file pics are in, See pic thumbnails at top of screen, click your pic, Use eyedropper to set WB, click Process, Pic opens in PS as JPEG, Crop-Adjust-Sharpen, Save, = beautiful picture.

Back
Top Bottom