whistles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, I don't think a whistle would work very well under water. There's a rattle ball in them that has to move freely for the whistle to work, underwater it wouldn't move freely and all you would get is a bunch of bubbles coming out your whistle with a real odd sound. Could be interesting though!

Whistles are designed for use in air. That they are advertised as "waterproof" does not mean they will work under water. Use a rattling device, a tank banger, or a knife on your tank to get everyone's attention.

Ok, but why wouldn't it work?

I understand the ball would not work correctly, but wouldn't I get a steady tone?

Here...
http://www.quakepro.com/stormwhistle/

Do the All-Weather Safety whistles really work underwater and how does that work?

Yes. the All-Weather Safety whistles really does work underwater. As a matter of fact I invented the All-Weather whistle for just that reason. When I was just 14 years old I
built the first Storm whistle so that my friends and I could play Marko-Polo (an underwater tag game). To make the standard whistles work underwater I encased the whistle in a plastic box. When the box filled with air the whistle worked. After further
testing I proceeded to make the plastic box smaller and smaller until he came to understand that the sound producing area of a whistles was a small 5mm x 5mm area over the whistle exit opening.

The whistle is used by dive clubs to organize multidiver events and to signal a buddy while underwater. The ability of the whistle to work when wet is even more important for boaters and rescue individuals. Standard whistles do not work when they are wet. If you fall off a boat or are lost as sea a whistle that works when soaking wet is critical. This is why Navy Rescue boats, hundreds of thousands of boaters and search and rescue teams across the world demand the power and waterproof nature of the Storm and Windstorm whistles.

But the Storm is my whistle of choice. Within my family of four, we own six. One for each BC. A storm whistle has always been bought with every BC. But, I still don't use it underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom