Whiskey Wreck History

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

algulfdiver:
**** DIVER'S GUIDE TO THE ALABAMA-FLORIDA GULF (SEACOAST BOOKS, BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA);.

I hadn't heard of this book before.... Did a google search and found it online at a used bookstore and ordered it last night. Figured for $8 bucks that I'd get it.

Went searching my book stash and found another book similar too it by the same author (Tom Bailey) called Reefs, Wrecks, & Rigs: Diver's Guide To The Northern Gulf of Mexico (1993).

But afterwards, I'm guessing that these two books are similar? any chance you've got both?

BTW... in the Reefs Wrecks and RIGS book, there is an aeriel pic of the water at the Whiskey Wreck that you can see a distinctive outline in the water of the wreck.

I have, Reefs, Wrecks, & Rigs: Diver's Guide To The Northern Gulf of Mexico (1993).
I spoke with Tom Bailey a while back and ask Him about doing a new updated book, but it didn't sound like he would do one.
Maybe some of us could get together and do a project on this area?

Actually that's something that I really wanted to do. write a "Divers Guide to Alabama". I actually bookmarked this thread for that purpose in the future...

However, since Alabama isn't the diving mecca of the world, I doubt we'd sell the thousands of copies that publishers require. So my thoughts were to do one where we could come up with a page format for each site and get folks in the dive community to contribute to doing it and then freely distribute it via web site via a PDF file.

Give each contributor acknowlegements for their contribution on it. Have the format include directions, where to park, how to find it, maps/diagrams of the site, etc for shore diving and for boat dives the GPS coordinates and distance from closest port.

The PDF Format and free distribution are the only way to really get it out there to the dive community. That way divers could download it and print all of it 8-1/2 x 11 or only the pages they need for that trip.

maybe one of these days I can get around to starting this effort.

mike

Alabama has lots of diving variety and sites, getting the people who know where it all is to share is another story :)

There are several beach sites that I wouldn't share with a public website. :) LOL

mike_s:
Actually that's something that I really wanted to do. write a "Divers Guide to Alabama"
Why would you want to do that? We're almost overrun with furriners already! :)
SuPrBuGmAn:
Alabama has lots of diving variety and sites, getting the people who know where it all is to share is another story :) There are several beach sites that I wouldn't share with a public website. :) LOL
:D
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Why would you want to do that? We're almost overrun with furriners already! :)
:D
Rick

Most of them "furriners" (yankees) just pass through though on their way to Florida. (thank goodness!)

I've actually thought real hard about getting ahold of an UW vid housing to take video of all the wrecks that the foreigners don't get to see - just as a tease. It would include no info on location - LOL :D

Hey, I think you should film the Oriskany and tell them it is in 25 feet of water somewhere along the beach just east of Fort Morgan!!

Mike

...or just West :D I wonder how many people would go off the deep end into Mobile Bay! :D

SuPrBuGmAn:
I've actually thought real hard about getting ahold of an UW vid housing to take video of all the wrecks that the foreigners don't get to see - just as a tease. It would include no info on location - LOL :D

We have had that type of Video at GGD Dive Shop for about a Year now, and working on more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom