Whining to the choir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
On a serious note, and about "passing" Fundies: When I first came to Scubaboard, I read an article about blowing bubbles. The thesis of the argument was that for many people, the initial intoxication of being underwater will wear off. The question raised was, "How do you keep diving interesting when it isn't new any more?"

I know the answer for me. I like challenges. Make me work at something, give me a goal, and you can keep me interested forever. The harder it is, the harder I'm generally hooked. After all, I chose one of the most difficult disciplines in medicine (surgery) and was actually signed up for a cardiac surgery fellowship when Peter and I got engaged, and my priorities changed.

Steve said he would show us the bar, and we wouldn't reach it. I certainly didn't, but I don't want to leave it there. I don't want to leave it because I think some of the things he wants me to improve are safety issues, and I don't want to leave it because I suspect that in diving, just as in skiing, improving your precision and and control comes along with an equal dividend of increased joy. I also don't want to leave it because I don't like to leave things unfinished, and because, when Steve gave me the provisional rating, it was based on me making a commitment to improve what wasn't good.

I don't know what diving holds for me in the future. I've been at this a whole four months. I doubt it will be anything technical (although cave diving sounds like SUCH a kick). But I could easily see doing more GUE training (eg. rec triox) just for the fun of being made to reach for that bar.

Translation: I'm dying to go cave and tech!

Peter Guy:
Assumptions --

1. TSandM is committed to staying a "recreational" diver -- that is, one who dives within NDL's and who does NO enclosed space or overhead environment diving.

Your reasoning makes sense assuming your underlying assumptions are correct, but you know what they say about assumptions...

Getting into "why dive recreational DIR?" is kind of a rathole though -- either the diver wants to and therefore needs to have a DIR gear config, or they don't.

There you have it. As happens so often, lamont has said what needs to be said :)

And if there are any remaining questions about why I need the proper gear, those people should refer to THIS post. If a simple BC can do all this, just IMAGINE what the wrong length HOSE could do!

Not taking sides one way or another on this little "spat", but U.P. used a 40" hose on our thanksgiving day dive and it didn't give him any problems other than causing some unusual surge and a forgotten mask... So it wasn't actually quite as problematic as the Ranger incident :wink: oh - and it made the vis drop to a ridiculously low 20ft :( See what you'd have to look forward to with a short hose? (temps didn't fluctuate below 79* however - whew)

Aloha, Tim

P.S. I'm looking forward to your Maui trip - I hope the three of us will have a chance to dive together while the two of you are over here.

Tim,

Dives together WILL happen. My 7' hose will see to it. :)

The first step was taken -- the check for the BP/W was written today, and as of this writing, I am still married. I think the 7' hose is going to make it, too, but the SPG is still bitterly contested.

Well you're getting there... hopefully you'll make the SPG too :wink:

I must say that I am incredibly glad that I spent some time investigating gear choices early on and that several of my instructors (PADI instructors no less!) used long hoses & BP&W on our OW dives. An additional large part was finding scubaboard early and reading threads like this one in the Hog, DIR & Buoyancy forums, in addition to some detailed PM's from TSandM.
:D

Bjorn

TSandM:
The first step was taken -- the check for the BP/W was written today, and as of this writing, I am still married.
Now that didn't take long, did it?:D

Well, we've survived the Jet Fins and the BP/W, but this SPG may still be the sticking point. Peter just doesn't understand my insistence on going back to the future, especially when it involves spending MORE money. I think I could probably e-bay the Cobra for more than the cost of the SPG and hose, but that doesn't float, either.

If anybody finds me floating in Elliott Bay with a 7' hose tied around my throat, please know I didn't strangle myself on it . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom