Whining to the choir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poor, poor hubby needs a doctor to take the knife out of his back!

Did TSandM write the truth when she wrote her hubby won't "let" her buy the new gear? Nope. She lies!

Did TSandM mention that she has two horses at an exclusive stable (read $$$$'s) and is spending so much time in the water that she doesn't have time to ride them so Hubby "is forced" to ride the one she doesn't like? Nope. She lies by omission!

On the serious note -- yup, she's going to buy the BP/W because, well, because she likes how it feels. However, having just come back from a moderately expensive trip to Australia, just having major repairs done to the pool, getting ready to go on a diving trip to Maui the end of January and then another diving/sailing trip to the BVI the end of March, perhaps it makes sense to NOT spend every spare $ we both earn on Scuba gear -- just to replace perfectly good gear so that she can practice to do things she'll never do again?

C'mom peeps, show a little mercy on the household budget -- DO NOT ENCOURAGE HER -- Please, for the sake of the cats, the dogs, the horses at home and the horses at the barn, let her know that delayed gratification is OK!!!

Never delay gratification. Just get rid of the horses :wink:

Working on that . . . at least one of them. I'm not completely unreasonable.

Peter Guy:
Poor, poor hubby needs a doctor to take the knife out of his back!

Did TSandM write the truth when she wrote her hubby won't "let" her buy the new gear? Nope. She lies!

Did TSandM mention that she has two horses at an exclusive stable (read $$$$'s) and is spending so much time in the water that she doesn't have time to ride them so Hubby "is forced" to ride the one she doesn't like? Nope. She lies by omission!

On the serious note -- yup, she's going to buy the BP/W because, well, because she likes how it feels. However, having just come back from a moderately expensive trip to Australia, just having major repairs done to the pool, getting ready to go on a diving trip to Maui the end of January and then another diving/sailing trip to the BVI the end of March, perhaps it makes sense to NOT spend every spare $ we both earn on Scuba gear -- just to replace perfectly good gear so that she can practice to do things she'll never do again?

C'mom peeps, show a little mercy on the household budget -- DO NOT ENCOURAGE HER -- Please, for the sake of the cats, the dogs, the horses at home and the horses at the barn, let her know that delayed gratification is OK!!!
I actually sympathize with you...to an extent. I am the diver in my family (wife has NO intention of ever learning) and have been the one who has spent untold gobs of money on gear, training and trips in the short time I've been diving. It has at times placed a strain on finances and harmony. I'm a firm believer that it is far better to ask for forgivness than to beg for permission, so it is usually after the fact.

That being said, nothing is going to help TSandM get better with her new skills than to dive in the gear. It doesn't mean she has to have it tomorrow, but the quicker she gets it, the quicker she can progress. IMHO, of all the things she mentioned, a bungied backup is the most important. It isn't a frivolous want, it is a matter of safety. I won't debate the pros/cons of AIR2s here, just suffice to say that this is a GUE-based forum, so I'm giving my GUE-based perspective.

Also, when I took up diving, I gave up another hobby that was near and dear to me, racing Mustangs (the car, not the horses :D). It pains me to this day that I had to part with my beloved steed, but I knew it was for the best. This could be a source of compromise for the two of you.

Obviously there are discussions that need to be had between you two that are completely beyond the scope of this thread. It would be prudent for the two of you to find some sort of common ground. That way she gets the gear/experience she wants and you don't feel she's "wh|zzin away" the mad money on this darned-foolish GUE stuff. :D

TSandM, you'd do well to understand hubby's perspective as well. You're lucky in that you have a built-in buddy (and maybe someday teammate), but you must temper this with an enthusiasm that works best for you both. Sounds to me like there can be compromises on both sides. Show him you're serious about your new path, and that you're not just throwing good money to bad.

Good luck.

BTW, for anybody who's worried about us . . . we enjoy this kind of badinage -- it's the way our relationship works, which should surprise anybody who has read much of what I've written.

This will all get sorted out, and I will eventually get the gear I want, and we won't go bankrupt, and most likely won't sell any horses. But if you can't whine on the internet, where CAN you whine?

i'm also available for practices...

being single i have no clue how to deal with this situation other than ebay... i always have exactly the right amount of delayed gratification...

Some truly serious questions for "The Choir."

Assumptions --

1. TSandM is committed to staying a "recreational" diver -- that is, one who dives within NDL's and who does NO enclosed space or overhead environment diving.

2. She wants to get a pass (and a card?) from her Fundamentals class.

Question #1: In order to get a passing grade, MUST she have a long-hosed rig, an analog SPG and a bp/w?

If so, how does having those pieces of equipment materially effect the ability to lead a team on a closed course keeping depth, attitude and awareness as opposed to the rig she has now? Likewise, why is the equipment important for any other "fundies skill" -- except for being the donor in an OOA situation?

A followup question is, IS a 7' hose on your primary (not to mention an analog SPG instead of an air integrated computer) safer for recreational diving (defined as no overhead/enclosed environments and all dives within NDL's) than a shorter (4, 5 or 6') hose?

IF the ONLY reason to get an analog SPG, 7' hose on a primary reg, a necklace back-up and a BP/W is to pass the certification, do any of you think those expenses would be worth it? (PLEASE NOTE THE ASSUMPTIONS!!!!!)

BTW, TSandM knows my plan is to add a longer hose to my primary, keep my Air2 AND add a necklace 2ndary to my rig -- I think it is wise to keep our gear as similar as possible. (Although, having started my diving career with a "backplate" without a wing, I LOVE my back inflate BCD with integrated weights. I never want to use a weightbelt again!)

Peter Guy:
Some truly serious questions for "The Choir."

Assumptions --

1. TSandM is committed to staying a "recreational" diver -- that is, one who dives within NDL's and who does NO enclosed space or overhead environment diving.

2. She wants to get a pass (and a card?) from her Fundamentals class.

Question #1: In order to get a passing grade, MUST she have a long-hosed rig, an analog SPG and a bp/w?

If so, how does having those pieces of equipment materially effect the ability to lead a team on a closed course keeping depth, attitude and awareness as opposed to the rig she has now? Likewise, why is the equipment important for any other "fundies skill" -- except for being the donor in an OOA situation?

A followup question is, IS a 7' hose on your primary (not to mention an analog SPG instead of an air integrated computer) safer for recreational diving (defined as no overhead/enclosed environments and all dives within NDL's) than a shorter (4, 5 or 6') hose?

IF the ONLY reason to get an analog SPG, 7' hose on a primary reg, a necklace back-up and a BP/W is to pass the certification, do any of you think those expenses would be worth it? (PLEASE NOTE THE ASSUMPTIONS!!!!!)

BTW, TSandM knows my plan is to add a longer hose to my primary, keep my Air2 AND add a necklace 2ndary to my rig -- I think it is wise to keep our gear as similar as possible. (Although, having started my diving career with a "backplate" without a wing, I LOVE my back inflate BCD with integrated weights. I never want to use a weightbelt again!)
Friend, just pony up the money. OK?
:D

Peter Guy:
Yes...but, a pass means that she can continue on to Tech 1...thats it. If you are not going on to Tech 1, you shouldn't be worrried about "passing" fundi's.

Peter Guy:
If so, how does having those pieces of equipment materially effect the ability to lead a team on a closed course keeping depth, attitude and awareness as opposed to the rig she has now?
It doesn't.

Peter Guy:
Likewise, why is the equipment important for any other "fundies skill" -- except for being the donor in an OOA situation?
Not really. I believe it (the equip config) is a nice clean solution, but I have gone back to a stab jacket and have had control in the water.

Peter Guy:
I use a 40" for my www stuff. Cold water with a canister light, I use a 7'. Is it "safer"....hmmmmm....it at least give the divers a bit of wiggle room. If you want to be close, you can do it, if you want to be able to manover around...you can do it.

Peter Guy:
No

Peter Guy:
I just had my first real air share last week and was sure glad to have the 7 foot. The recipient had 30 minutes of deco to do in in shallows and was totally 00A.

I stuck with him for ~20 minutes until another tank was bought down, and it sure would have been more cumbersome with a short hose, especially with the strong surge we were experiencing...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom