Whick wreck to dive, FL.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Frankenmule:
Depth bugs me in that it steals time from me (for now!!!!), about 40 of my 70 dives are deep (80-130'). I have been leaning toward the Duane.

I prefer the Duane, but because the top/side of the SG is relatvely shallow, its possible to have a fairly long dive.

So is there any commercial boats that go out to the Bay Ronto on a regular basis?

Since I am going to be based out of Sarasota, It would be a lot cheaper. Our boat is a single engine, 27' unit, so we are hesitent to go 34 miles out with only one engine......

Who do you guys use for the SG & Duane dives? I've been looking at Rainbow Reef

Greg

You could dive on the USS Massachusetts, in 93' of water.

If you're looking for some nice wrecks and don't want to drive all the way to the Keys take a look at this link It has a list of many of the local wrecks in the South Florida area. There is something here for every level of diving from open water to Tri-mix. Tenneco Towers is one of my favorites, the Tracy is another good one.

Both are interesting dives.

Spiegel Grove is on its side. 55 feet to the port side. 7 balls for boats to tie up on. If you tied up on #7 it is 100 feet to the bow. Lots of little fish making home in/on wreck. Lots of big fish swimming around/off it. You can go to 55 feet and stay & watch the fish, or you can go to 75 feet and swim along the deck or do an even deeper dive. CURRENT not as bad as DUANE. I've done it 3 times and had NO current.

Duane is upright on the bottom. Deck is at 104 feet. 2 balls on this as I remember. CURRENT is common. Strong CURRENT possible. I've done dives where I was like a flag hanging in a stiff breeze off the line. Never even saw the Crow's Nest on the way down. Once on the boat, had to stay behind outcroppings to stay out of current or hang on to rails to keep from being blown off the boat. I've done this 3 times and ALWAYS had big current!

If you are looking for a relaxing dive, try the GROVE. DUANE is definitely alot of work!

Mike

Thanks, Especially to Scott....
I lost my bookmarks page a few months ago and one of the links was to the Dixie Divers page. I remembered all of their local wreks listing, but could not remember their name.

I made reservations with a dive company on Key Largo. It will depend on what wreck they are going to with a bigger boat, or if we have 4 advanced divers, then we decide and go out on a smaller boat.

Thanks everyone.
Greg

I'm back.
We ended up diving the SG. That happened to be the location the dive operator was doing that day.
From what I have heard, it was a bit unusual on this dive.
There was no current on the surface or on the ship. Vis was 75'+ you could see it if you stuck your head under water. The bad thing was the waves. We had 6-7' with some 8-10' "Yeee Haw" waves, as the DM put it when they hit the boat. It was bad getting down. I slammed into my dad pretty hard about four times when we got to the bouy, it seemed like an eternity when it was only seconds. We weren't sure if there was a current on the ship, so we were trying to go down the line. It was a great dive, but the ship is soooooo big that it was a bit of a bummer. I lit my HID and cruised in a little ways into the covered part of the docking bay. I felt like an ant sitting on the dark side of the moon.
Anyway, thanks for all of the input. It helped to know what to expect.

I also learned a very important lesson. If you want to dive in larger waves, you have to go with an outfit that has real boats. We were planning on going out with a smaller outfit that had mostly 30' boats. My dad's is a 31' Aquasport and is nicer than their stuff. We ended up going out with Ocean Divers, they were awesome. Their Captain was top notch and the crew just as good.

Thanks again
Greg

When are you going to be coming down? I'll be taking a trip to the bayronto shortly (as soon as we can get a boat full - 6pack). Going out with Spair-time, out of Placeda (about 45 minutes south of Sarasota).

As far as the keys, Walter put it best. I'd add that diving the Spiegel Grove was VERY similar to my checkout dives in the springs. Divers EVERYWHERE. It's like being in a pool with a dozen OW classes going on. The Duane is usually not nearly as crowded.

Capnsnott:
So is there any commercial boats that go out to the Bay Ronto on a regular basis?

Since I am going to be based out of Sarasota, It would be a lot cheaper. Our boat is a single engine, 27' unit, so we are hesitent to go 34 miles out with only one engine......

Who do you guys use for the SG & Duane dives? I've been looking at Rainbow Reef

Greg

ReefGuy:
I'll be taking a trip to the bayronto shortly (as soon as we can get a boat full - 6pack). Going out with Spair-time, out of Placeda (about 45 minutes south of Sarasota).

I hope the weather is good for you guys.
We went out and dove M8 (tank #1 and the barge) last Monday, the waves were 2-3 with some 4' scattered about. The problem was the waves were more of a washboard, not just from a constant direction.

My brother will be there at the end of the month, He, his wife and my dad may be interested in getting in on a dive with you guys. I'll let him know.
Can you PM me some contact info?

My dad has a 31' Aquasport, but it has a single engine. My dad isn't too excited about a 30 mile trip with no backup engine.

thanks.
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom