Whick wreck to dive, FL.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capnsnott

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I couldn't figure out where this post should go, so this was the most likely spot. I hope this is ok.....

I'm going to be in Florida at the end of next week visiting my parents. I want to dive a wreck, my dad wants to go down to the Spiegel Grove or the Duane. Which one would be the better of the two? I am not doing a penetration dive.

OR is there another beter dive that is ok for a single tank dive (I'm not sending my doubles down, wast of time w/ him on an 80 :banghead:) that is further north in the Gulf. We are in Sarasota. I was thinking of the Bayronto, but I haven't got any charter info for that one.

OR, what about on the Eastern coastal area? Miami south?????

What is everyones opinion on this.
Thanks
Greg

I moved this to FCD as i thought it might get a better idea from the locals and it wasnt so much a technical wreck question (you arent likely to hit those wrecks anyway with your buddy on an AL80).

So on to your question, in fact i have a few back at you:
How much experience have you got diving wrecks?
How much diving current?
How many days/dives are you looking to do?

If you have some experience i would suggest SG as a must do, but i would really put the Duane over that. The Eagle is another good one. There arent many popular (read charters that go to them) wrecks in the upper keys compared to around Broward Co. I dont know the Broward wrecks that well, but others should be able to chime in, i have really only dove those few wrecks in the Keys and another couple here and there on the SE coast - i hear the Aquazoo/Sea Empress is a great one, i know the Tennaco Towers is great, the others i have been to are so-so at best. Not sure what options you have on the SW/W coast, the wrecks are mostly a good way out by boat and the charters cost more.

I've been to both the Spiegel Grove and the Duane and they are two different dives. The SG is really big and is a very nice dive. Depths are reasonable (55' - 120'). The Duane is deeper with the deck at 95'. It's a much smaller boat and the current can be a bit challenging but once you get there it's a nice (but short) dive.

simbrooks:
So on to your question, in fact i have a few back at you:
How much experience have you got diving wrecks?
How much diving current?
How many days/dives are you looking to do?

I have limited experience on wrecks, that's why I want to dive some of the mellow ones. Mostly dove around small barges, planes and a fishing boat (70').
Currents, worst was about 2 knotts. I was beat after that. I have strong legs, so current is ok within reason.
If it's a long drive from Sarasota, one day only, two or three dives.
If it's close to town, I don't know.
I want to dive the tanks on M8, hit the Venice shark tooth dive for a day and maybe M7 and the Cuda Hole (ledge dive). There is a deeper water artificial reef that we may go to as well. I have plenty of local dives to do, I just wanted to get a couple wrecks in. That is where I'm heading with my training. I'm taking ADv EAN and Deco procedures in May.

Thanks
Greg

A few opinions.

In the upper Keys, my favorite dives are:

1. The Eagle - 287 ft freighter in 115 (you can have a nice dive without breaking 100') feet of water on it's starboard side. It's been down just shy of 20 years. It has lots of life and was broken in two in 1998 by Hurricane Georges.

2. The Bibb - 327 ft US Coast Guard Cutter on its side in about 135 feet of water. This one is perhaps oner you might want to wait until you have more experience.

3. The Duane - Sister ship to the Bibb, it sits upright in 122 feet with it's main deck at about 105 feet. Both ships whent down in November of '87.

4. Spiegle Grove - On it's starboard side in about 130 feet (I've yet to get to the bottom on this one), it's more like a metal wall than a wreck. 510 feet long, it's too big to be interesting, IMHO.

In SE Florida there are too many too mention. A few of which I'm fond:

Rodeo 25
Ancient Mariner
Noula Express
Mercedes
Captain Dan
Qualman Tugs
Budweiser Bar
Rebel Wreck
Tracy

The Sea Emperor is a pretty ho hum wreck dive, IMHO.

The Bay Ronto 30 miles off Boca Grande Pass is a great dive.

I just got back from my cert trip in Key Largo and we did the Spiegle Grove on the last day (dives 6 & 7 for me). I'll disagree with Walter though - it's huge but very interresting. Maybe it's just the first thing that large that I've seen underwater though. We did 2 dives on it - buoy 6 and buoy 5. Current was not a problem once we were on the wreck.

I'd have been thrilled with it on dives 6 & 7 as well. OTOH, I was thrilled with dives 6 & 7 - both were on the Sugar Wreck off West End Grand Bahama. I'd also probably enjoy it if I were making penetrations. Other than following the line that's already in place, I've never penetrated the Grove.

His write up is pretty much exactly what I would write. The SG is huge, but the other wrecks are more interesting.

Peter

Hi Walter.

I was going to try and ger my dad's friend to take us out to the Bay Ronto on his boat. It's the only one that is big enough to go that far out. I would however consider using a charter for it. Since you have done it, who do you use?

My dad has done the SG and said it was pretty huge and a bit overwhelming. Depth bugs me in that it steals time from me (for now!!!!), about 40 of my 70 dives are deep (80-130').

I have been leaning toward the Duane.

Thanks all
Greg

Dr. Frankenmule:
Hi Walter.

I was going to try and ger my dad's friend to take us out to the Bay Ronto on his boat. It's the only one that is big enough to go that far out. I would however consider using a charter for it. Since you have done it, who do you use?

My dad has done the SG and said it was pretty huge and a bit overwhelming. Depth bugs me in that it steals time from me (for now!!!!), about 40 of my 70 dives are deep (80-130').

I have been leaning toward the Duane.

Thanks all
Greg
You won't go wrong with the Duane. It's arguably the best artificial reef in Key Largo. It can be crowded with divers tho, especially on the weekends. Weekday afternoons are usually the best time to avoid crowds. The weather deck sits at about 105', the wheel house at about 85'. There's another deck in-between, and an impressive radar mast atop the ship. She sits upright and pretty much level on the sand in about 130' of water. On a low-current day, the crowsnest is worth a visit on your way up. There are hordes of fishes and other marine life on the wreck, including a couple of resident sea turtles. Enjoy!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom