Which would YOU pick???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Olympus Mju 790sw for $491 or the Olympus Mju 850sw for $568???

Now, this is not for ME but for a friend. Please tell me WHY you would choose one over the other and also where we can get the BEST prices. Thanks.

Olympus Mju 790sw for $491 or the Olympus Mju 850sw for $568???

Now, this is not for ME but for a friend. Please tell me WHY you would choose one over the other and also where we can get the BEST prices. Thanks.

Where did you get those prices? They are not anywhere close to the MSRP of $299 for either camera that the Olympus website shows.

Amazon has the Stylus 850sw for $251.45 shipped or the 790sw for $239 shipped. With such a small price difference I'd definitely pick the 850sw. It has 8 megpixels VS 7.1 for the 790sw and image stabilization that the 790sw doesn't have. You might even find it for less, but I know that Amazon is a reputable online seller.

**note** I'm guessing your friend is not in the US as the name of the camera is slightly different. Mju compared to Stylus here in the US. Could that be the reason for the dramatic price difference?

You are right... he lives in Ireland and was shy in posting it himself. I am doing this a a favor.

He might find some information on the UK version of Amazon.

Is he thinking of only snorkeling with this camera or will he be getting the housing for it so he can dive with it?

I am in Ireland, if anyone knows of any good camera shop please send me P.M. and i will be sure to get back to you soon

Nokia25

Of course, they might put their suggestions right here! :D This should be good. Let's hope some of the great camera shops here in the US join in as well. Where is H2O Photo Pros and the others?

I hate to say it, but has he looked at the Sticky for ideas?

Right now if he wants one of the best compact systems, especially for macro but it's no slouch for other things, the Canon G9 is a top pick. But it's bulky and pricier than some other options.

For great all-rounders, the Canon A series is the way to go. There are some at every price point and with a variety of features to suit a whole range of needs (like 2AAs or4AAs, oval ports, round ports, Ikelite housing as well as Canon housings, some have a RAW hack available etc). Bang for buck, these are tops.

Fuji has a couple of nice offerings, too, but they tend to be a tad older and harder to find. Ditto with Olympus - the venerable 5050, of course, but also the 350. Both can be difficult to obtain at a low price and both are older generation models, which bothers some people. Neither Fuji or Olympus have released anything lately that rocks for underwater, unfortunately. Oly's SW range is great for a rugged, waterproof take anywhere camera, but it has focus issues, is dead slow, is terrible at higher ISOs... In some conditions it's a good choice. Just depends what your friend wants out of it.

There is still no one perfect solution out there but there are a ton of options so once your friend knows what is most important to him, he should be able to narrow it down to a top three or so and go from there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom