Which wet suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info, I'd like to dive as much of the year as possible.
I took a look at the Tripple L web site and it's appears that you can get a custom made 7mm wet suit for under $100. Does anyone have an oppinion on this company?

Thanks,
Steve

Good. You might get the new suit that is made of hyperstretch materials.

Just my 2cents. Get a Henderson suit. They specialize in wetsuits and have the hyperstretch material. I got myself a 3mil hyperstretch and i'm totally happy with it.

Can anyone tell me what the recommended wet suit thickness is for particular temp ranges? Like a 3 mm is good for X temp to X temp and a 5 mm is good for.....

Thanks

What about compressability at depth? My 5mil is toasty topside but still leaves me freezing at depth. The 3mil rates the same at depth. and is much more comfortable.
I am hearing good things overall about the Hyperstretch 3mil all around.
Henry

From the frigid, unforgiving waters of the south.

SteveC:
Any thoughts on which wet suit to purchase. 3mm, 5mm or 7mm. I will be doing cold water most of the time. Are the thicker ones harder to put on?

Thanks,
Steve
Steve. I have spent most of my life with a wetsuit. Whether it be for surfing or scuba diving.... in comparison to normal clothes, yes wetsuits are hard to put on and take off no matter what thickness you have. I would go with a good quality 7mm suit... that way you don't have to worry about ever getting cold and they are not that much different than a 5mm. We sell tons of them, and of all the stuff we sell, wetsuits is my area of specialty, I love em! :)

Warnberg:
Can anyone tell me what the recommended wet suit thickness is for particular temp ranges? Like a 3 mm is good for X temp to X temp and a 5 mm is good for.....

Thanks
I think it depends on your tolerance to cold water. Me personally I use a 3mm for temps ranging from the low 70's to the low 80's. Anything below 70 I like to use a 7mm. Why buy a 5mm when a 7mm is not that much more and you can be comfortable in almost any temp of water? I don't know many people who have complained about being to hot with a 7mm in 70 degree water. Hope this helps. PM me for more detailed info.

there is no such thing as one perfect suit for everything. here in new england I feel eveyone shoud have a 7mm (or drysuit) for local and a 3mm or similar for travel. as far as temp range for a given suit type, since different people have different levels of cold tolerance I won't even attempt to put numbers to it, but conceptually:

3mm--appropriate for water you can stay in while wearing just a swim suit

5mm-- appropriate for water you can take a quick dip in just a swimsuit

7mm--appropriate for water you don't want to get into without insulation

I have a Tripple L 7mm full suit with hood and have found the suit to work for me but I only snorkel here in the Puget Sound water temp running around 48 degrees.

If you need a thick suit, like a 7mm, get a Henderson Hyperstretch and it'll make your life a lot easier. I got mine from Scuba Toys and it's awesome. Very comfortable and quick to don. You can also layer if necessary. I've got a hooded core warmer I use under it sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom