Which Suunto computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azsilver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Which Suunto computer? I have looked at the Suunto computers on their Website.
So many choices----what do you think about the different models? Pro and Con.

I am not sure which one would make a good second dive computer for Multidive-multiday profile diving? My back up bit the dust and just died. I want something that is nitrox capable and about the same conservative algorithms as my Uwatec Aladin Air Z Nitrox. No I do not want to just by another Uwatec.

So tell me what you think about Suunto’s and their different models.

Try the search button. Suunto computers have been debated here many times...

But since you asked: Vyper. Wrist unit, user replaceable battery, downloadable, easy to read, gauge mode, nitrox compatible...
Its all you need...

As far as I know, they all use the same Gas model, so it's just a matter of getting one in the size you want, with the features you want.

Small ? ... Stinger is what I own.
Big ? ... Vyper would be my choice.

That's assuming you want something with a Gauge mode ... you could save a few bucks if you don't want that feature... Mosquito for small, Geckko for large (no PC interface with Geckko)

IslandHopper:
As far as I know, they all use the same Gas model, so it's just a matter of getting one in the size you want, with the features you want.

Small ? ... Stinger is what I own.
Big ? ... Vyper would be my choice.

That's assuming you want something with a Gauge mode ... you could save a few bucks if you don't want that feature... Mosquito for small, Geckko for large (no PC interface with Geckko)

Other than size, what about ease of use, changing batteries, PC interface?
Price? Good Place to buy?

I own a Stinger and a VYper. The stinger has to be sent back to Aqualung (or a few other service centers) for a battery change, which is a little pricey. The Vyper battery you can change yourself and costs about ten bucks with the oring. The Vyper and stinger both are downloadable, however use a different interface. Also, the Stinger is about $200 more than the Vyper (~$350-440 in wrist unit).

WIth all that being said, I would get the Vyper if I had to chose only one. Much easier to deal with...

Thats why I left it out in my first post...

LUBOLD8431:
Try the search button. Suunto computers have been debated here many times...

But since you asked: Vyper. Wrist unit, user replaceable battery, downloadable, easy to read, gauge mode, nitrox compatible...
Its all you need...

Here here LUBOLD. Outstanding choice. I have several.
Versa Pro was my second choice. Also a nice rig and a bit, just a bit, cheaper but not worth lossing sleep over. Think the Suunto is just a bit better rig and the manual is very easy to follow. Many are not but they are getting better in the last few years.

LP....$314 last time I looked

Vyper has got a nice big face and is easy to use, Serial computer interface - note most new computers don't have one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vytec looks the same but is air intergrated by wireless link from first stage, but you probably know that, you could go for the vytec and add the link later??

Yesterday at the LDS I looked at the Suunto Vytec, Cobra and Vyper

---the vyper looked different from the photo on the Web site it had black instead of silver around the face. Does anyone know about this? Is this an older model or a newer model or are there several styles of the Vyper?

The Vyper is on sale at the LDS for just a little more than LP.

I liked the Vytec---but extra money and do I really want another Tele air integrated computer to back up my Aladin Air Z Nitrox which is also tele. I have backup analog gauges also that I can use on my second port. (I only have two ports on my SP MK15 D500 regs.)

Am I correct that the Suunto algorithm is more conservative than the Uwatec Aladin Air Z Nitrox algorithm? Is it a lot more conservative?

Thanks for your Help!

AZ diver getting ready for Cozumel in April!

LUBOLD8431:
WIth all that being said, I would get the Vyper if I had to chose only one. Much easier to deal with...

ditto for the vyper...I love mine...Only have 77 dives on it so far, but it is working quite well.

I like the versa pro in addition to the vyper but...

I find the vyper's menu driven interface to be easier to use. Learning to use this computer was straightforward. I have been very happy with my recent vyper purchase.

Back
Top Bottom