Which steel tanks are good and bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would look into the classified on this board and others like craigslist for tanks unless you must have new as like others have said tanks will last a long long time if they are looked after. For example I picked up 2 HP Worth steel 130's for $200 US each that were 2 years old that only required a VIP. Also got 2 Faber/Oms LP 108/112's for $500 for the pair that were less than 5 years old.

Why ? You gain nothing by switching to DIN 300 and you lose capability of using yoke regs with the tank.

IMO it's safer when using HP tanks. I will trust the captured oring in a DIN with HP far more then a yoke any day. I like that a DIN has a smaller profile then a Yoke. And I feel it's a much more secure connection. Yes traveling while having a DIN on your first stage can be a hassle, but DIN to Yoke adapters solve this problem.

230bar DIN is just fine for 3440psi HP steel tanks. The parts of the world that run 4000 or 4500psi tanks require 300bar DIN. Yolk is fine for 230bar as well of course.

I don't have any tanks yet, but the best tank I ever dove with was a friends HP100. Best buoyancy characteristics I have ever dealt with. Having 30% more air an an al80 in the same dimensions and needing about 6 pounds less lead on the belt is great. If I buy a tank that will be the one.

IMO it's safer when using HP tanks. I will trust the captured oring in a DIN with HP far more then a yoke any day. I like that a DIN has a smaller profile then a Yoke. And I feel it's a much more secure connection. Yes traveling while having a DIN on your first stage can be a hassle, but DIN to Yoke adapters solve this problem.

But why 300 DIN? Kind of overkill on a tank that is 3442 psi. With the 230 convertable you get both in one package.

When buying through the web, most are going to ship with valves out, so a visula will be required locally. That's always fun walking in and saying Hi, just bought this tank online, need a vis and fill.

DRIS will ship with a VIP sticker. But you'll be better off to use a fill whip to transfill some gas into it so you can just get a fill without questions asked, if possible ; just avoid bringing in the empty tank.

I made the mistake of buying tanks from DRIS and bringing them into various shops for initial fill, no one would fill it. I pulled the stickers off and asked for an o2 cleaning and all is well after that.

Here's a handy chart with cylinder specifications and the plating process used on steel cylinders. I hope you find it helpful!

Cylinder Specification Chart

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom