Which steel tanks are good and bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaworm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking to buy a new yoke steel 100's maybe a little larger, however which tank brands are great to go with? Which steel tanks should I stay away from? Also is there a real difference between HP & LP steel tanks. I'm just plan to use them for normal dives and some deep dives around 100ft give or take! Last thing should I stay away from Leisurepro for tank or go with my LDS?

I don't think there is much of a difference between the manufacturers. I believe it is how you look after them and more importantly where you have them filled. Cylinders should last for decades if you can keep moisture out of them.

I use Faber steel cylinders (12l) and I am very happy with them. I would stick with LP, not all filling stations have the capability to do HP fills. HP cylinders also require DIN fitting on the regs.

Agree with aj. Steel tanks may vary slightly in their buoyancy characteristics from mfg to mfg, but to me not enough to worry about. Especially with LP steels which are all I will buy or use iof given the choice. I want full fills and if possible cave or wreck fills.

ANd why would you stay away from Leisure Pro if the price justifies buying from them? If you figure in shipping and the price is still much better than your LDs ask them if they will match. If not it's their loss.

There are not so many manufactures out there anyways. I had Faber and Worthington tanks and a couple of old LP72s which I believe are Voit tanks. They are both great tanks. My preference for the cold water is Worthington as they are more negative. Although we have a set of Fabers LP85s and that is arguably the best double set that we have owned so far. I also have a pair of Fabers LP66 and I love it for shallow dives.

They all have different lengths and buoyancy characteristics. That is not so crucial for singles but more important for doubles. If you ever plan to double them up pay attention at the length and the weight distributions. Fabers are more butt light , worthingtons have more weight on the butt so depending on the exposure protection one can be better than the other.

Although my shop has an HP station it can be hectic to get the full fill, they need to top up it later and generally it takes them more time to fill an HP tank.

So I sold my only HP100 set and replaced it with LP108 set. They usually fill LP tanks to more then 2700 psi as their cut off is normally set to 3000psi. So I often get fills closer to 3000 :) So we only have LP tanks now.

Worthington, PST, and Faber all make(made) good tanks. For buoyancy characteristics be cautious with Coyne, Asahi, Beuchat, and Heiser cylinders. It's not that these are "bad" tanks, it is just that some of these are bricks.

I Use the Worthington (AKA XS SCUBA) HP steels. Have 80's and 100's.

When buying through the web, most are going to ship with valves out, so a visula will be required locally. That's always fun walking in and saying Hi, just bought this tank online, need a vis and fill.

Divers Supply ships valve in vis sticker on and a little air.

Shipping steels can get pricey.

Hot dipped galvanized will always be better that any other corrosion protection system. My pressed steel 72's from the 60's are going strong while tanks less than 5 years old with cold galvanized or painted finishes are scrap.

After that it is volume, weight, and boyancy swing.

+1 for HP Worthington, but I would recommend switching to 300 bar DIN.

I don't know where you live in MI, I live near detroit, but a good HP fill is not that hard to obtain around here or local dive sites.

Hot dipped galvanized will always be better that any other corrosion protection system. My pressed steel 72's from the 60's are going strong while tanks less than 5 years old with cold galvanized or painted finishes are scrap.

Which of the currently-available-new tanks are hot-dip galvanized - does anyone know?

+1 for HP Worthington, but I would recommend switching to 300 bar DIN.

I don't know where you live in MI, I live near detroit, but a good HP fill is not that hard to obtain around here or local dive sites.

Good point, XS SCUBA ships them with convertible valves so they will work for yoke or DIN. I used mine afte I got them with Yokes but made the switch to DIN First Stages this winter.

Wednesday I was at the LDS and he was filling an HP with a Yoke and blew an o-ring. I was in the tank room at the time and it made both of us jump.

Back
Top Bottom