Which steel tank to get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbanks78

Registered
Reaction score
I have been looking at steel tanks for about 2 weeks now, and being a relatively new diver I am a little ignorant when it comes to what is important in my tank. I was taught on the AL80, but I admit that I am a gas hog so most of the time my dive was limited not due to bottom time, but the amount of air I had.

I was looking to get a steel tank, becuase I read that you could get more air (iirc 100cf in the same size as an AL80), and the buoyancy was negative vs. the positive for AL.

I was looking at the OMS steel tanks since they are hot-dip galvanized and also looking the the Pressed Steel tanks. Are these good places to look or are there better tanks out there. Price is not at the top of my priorities when considering brand, namely performance and durability.

Thanks.

Rob

Rob,

Dive Rite Express has a great price right now on the Worthington steel tanks, which, from what I've heard are almost identical to the PSTs (and also hot dipped galvanized, I believe). You can take a look here:

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/gas/steel.shtml

If I were in the market for some steel tanks I'd be all over these. As it is, I'm having a hard time not buying a couple of X8-130s.

I personally like the high volume, high pressure tanks like the X8-119 and X8-130. You can legally pump 'em up to 3442 and get 119 or 130 cubic feet, but even at a lower pressure of 2640 you still get 95 and 104 cubic feet.

Saw you're in Gainesville. Where do you dive?

Brian

the Worthingtons are a good deal. scubatoys.com has them as well.

Agree on the worthingtons. If I needed any tanks I would be all over that special.

For what it's worth, I have PST E-7 100s and absolutely love them. They are pretty identical to the 100 cf worthingtons. They're a bit smaller than an AL80, hold 25% more air and allow me to take 5 lbs. of lead off my belt. What's not to like?

D_O_H:
Agree on the worthingtons. If I needed any tanks I would be all over that special.

For what it's worth, I have PST E-7 100s and absolutely love them. They are pretty identical to the 100 cf worthingtons. They're a bit smaller than an AL80, hold 25% more air and allow me to take 5 lbs. of lead off my belt. What's not to like?

Exactly what he said! :14:

What they said +
If you are tall you will probably prefer the 7-120

PST is in receivership... I'd wait any purchases of PST tanks until a buyer is found for the company.

Faber (called Blue Steel now?) makes some nice steel tanks, which are galvanized, then epoxied. I like mine a lot, althogh I'm nostly fresh-water. If you do mostly salt-water, you might want one that isn't painted, so the corrosion can't hide.

Whether you go for high or low pressure depends on the shop you use for fills.

I like the low pressure (2640) tanks because you can always get a great fill. If you go with the high pressure tanks, it depends on how much air pressure the fill station has.

Terry

robbanks78:
I have been looking at steel tanks for about 2 weeks now, and being a relatively new diver I am a little ignorant when it comes to what is important in my tank. I was taught on the AL80, but I admit that I am a gas hog so most of the time my dive was limited not due to bottom time, but the amount of air I had.

I was looking to get a steel tank, becuase I read that you could get more air (iirc 100cf in the same size as an AL80), and the buoyancy was negative vs. the positive for AL.

I was looking at the OMS steel tanks since they are hot-dip galvanized and also looking the the Pressed Steel tanks. Are these good places to look or are there better tanks out there. Price is not at the top of my priorities when considering brand, namely performance and durability.

Thanks.

Rob

well, I hope I didn't make a mistake today. My LDS let me put a couple of
PST E8 130's on lay away today. After my discount, then figure in the cost of a visual, tank of air and shipping, the online cost was about the same as the shop's. So for a couple of dollars more I decided that the LDS was worth it. But now I see the Worthington special and it has me thinking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom