Which split fin to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Apollo Biofins are the best of the split fins, that is the all rubber Biofin Pro models, as Apollo did all the developmental work and tried many compound variations before they got them right. The only problem with them is that they have to be firm on your feet as any lost motion with a loose fit and the propulsion falls away dramatically. Also if a cross current puts the blade halves out of sync side to side they don't work at all, but if you turn into the flow and get their beat going again then the power turns back on and you can then resume your course. First time I tried them I thought that they were useless as there was no sensation on my feet as I pumped them up and down, then I noticed the bottom was rolling by underneath me very rapidly and when I poked my head out for a look see I had travelled twice as far as I had expected to as this was in an area that I knew like the back of my hand. At full churn the water flow rolled my lips back on my snorkel mouthpiece, yet I felt no real effort was being used, unlike when I was using my Farallon Farafins which are powerful but energy consuming at full tilt.

Back
Top Bottom