Which split fin to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miserkris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,
I have been using a full fin without split and that was hard on my legs....

So i tried this scubapro twin jet that some body loaned me and loved it.

What's the best split fin that is out there , that's compatible with booties and bare foot.
One that won't slip off easily? Yet easy to put on and remove?

Is this a good choice?

Scuba Pro Twin Jet Open Heel Split Fins

Thx... kris

Here's an update ...

This is the model that i used briefly see pic.
Used bare feet. Though the fit was great after few dives the top wide portion of feet were slightly aching.

That's because i wear USA 10 wide usually.

How to solve this WIDE problem?
Thx

Attachments

• 20180912_213343.jpg
    20180912_213343.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 77
I can’t believe someone besides me has this same wide foot problem! But i have not solved it. I just use a larger Fin for width, with a dive boot to protect my feet from rubbing, which means a still larger Fin, which is too long for my short legs, so I cut few inches off ends of fins. Mine are not split fins, which is one way to reduce stress, but short fins do pack in my carry on luggage easily and are still pretty powerful and controllable.

@miserkris
I have fairly wide mens size 9 feet.
I have used (and have on hand:)
US Divers splits size L with neoprene socks
Atomic Smoke on the Water splits size L w/ 5mil booties.
Force Fin Pros size L w/ comfort pads.

I am also in SEPA (near Norristown.) You are welcome to come over and give them a test fit.

I am also planning to be at Dutch next weekend if you want to try them wet.

Send me a PM if you want to give them a try.

Rather than split fins, why not try some Mares Volos or Xtreme's instead?

Rather than split fins, why not try some Mares Volos or Xtreme's instead?
Oh.... are they similar i.e. reduce stress on the calves?!

With more than a few knee and hip joint replacements, I finally gave up on paddle fins and found Apollo Bio fins with spring straps to be great fins for me. Prior to the Bios, I used a pair of SP Twin Jets, and found the Bios really outperform the Twin Jets. It was not even a close contest. I also have wide feet, but use 3mm SP Delta boots with the fins, and those work great. I am not sure about using them with bare feet though because for me, bare feet and shore diving or climbing the boat ladder is not my idea of a good time. Because of the joint problems, I don't frog kick with the Apollo Bios, but I have seen more than a few divers doing an excellent job of frog kicking with them and other similar split fins like the Smoke on the Waters, and SP Twin Jet Max. Yes, I know, many on this forum don't believe that to be the case, but there are divers that can do it very well. I love the Bios, but they are heavy in your dive bag, but you don't feel that on your feet in the water. Just don't drop them in the water, or you are in for a chase.

Edit. Was writing this when Marie13 posted above about the Atomic splits and frog kicking.

You are getting into Fins Class 101 territory. You are going to have to try on both your boots and fins so your local lds' and not the internet are your friends.

First, I would find the best fitting boots for your feet. The goal is to find a pair that you would be comfortable walking a mile in.

Once you have your boots, then look for a pair of fins that fit. I tried Scubapro, Atomic, ... fins before I settled on Tusa. Only saying that the Tusa X-pert Zoom fit the combination of my foot and boots the best.

Already mentioned, spring straps are a big improvement over standard fin straps.

Ok thx all... will try with LDS

Back
Top Bottom