Which split fin to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prior to getting my Hollis F1's, I dove the Tusa X-pert Zoom splits myself and never had any issue with them. I just found that I wasn't getting the power out of them that I wanted for the effort I was putting in. They're great in calm waters with little current, but when doing drift dives in Cozumel, I wanted something with a little more umpf behind it when I needed to kick. That's my experience with splits. I've been told, though, by several divers that the Apollo Bios are the way to go if you want the absolute best splits on the market. I considered them myself, but decided I wanted blades instead. My Tusa splits are now with a dive op in Cozumel.

I gave up my TUSA splits for Nova Seawing's and never looked back...The Tusa's are in the attic and I'd be happy to sell them if interested?

Persona preference of course but have you ever tried jet fins?

I used long plastic fins and from the first dive after I asked the dive centre to borrow their jet fins, I was hooked. They’re heavy, so your feet don't rise when in a horizontal trim position and they have propulsion and are more agile in the water.

Prior to getting my Hollis F1's, I dove the Tusa X-pert Zoom splits myself and never had any issue with them. I just found that I wasn't getting the power out of them that I wanted for the effort I was putting in. They're great in calm waters with little current, but when doing drift dives in Cozumel, I wanted something with a little more umpf behind it when I needed to kick. That's my experience with splits. I've been told, though, by several divers that the Apollo Bios are the way to go if you want the absolute best splits on the market. I considered them myself, but decided I wanted blades instead. My Tusa splits are now with a dive op in Cozumel.
How do you find the F1? I’m thinking of getting a pair... (please be specific)

I’ve heard many people think they’re too heavy and bulky, I’ve dived with the F1!Ts and there were very powerful and are still lighter than the F1.

How do you find the F1? I’m thinking of getting a pair... (please be specific)

I’ve heard many people think they’re too heavy and bulky, I’ve dived with the F1!Ts and there were very powerful and are still lighter than the F1.
The claims that the F1's are heavy and a bit bulky are pretty spot on. They are negatively buoyant so don't drop them. But when you want power, they definitely deliver. I don't mind the weight, as I don't really feel it in the water. And when diving in 5-6mph current in Cozumel trying to swim the opposite direction, they did exactly what I needed them to do. They're obviously not for everyone, but it's a change I'm certainly glad I made and I have no regrets. Would absolutely buy them again. And besides....they just look cool!

None of them. Learn to frog kick instead. Find a cave instructor or a tech instructor. Once you learn to frog kick you can learn to back up. Doing a frog kick - about 1/4 to 1/3 of your forward movement will come from the kick and the balance of your forward movement will come the coasting portion of the kick. In the coasting portion you are resting. Lowers your heart rate. Lowers your breathing rate. Lowers your air/gas consumption.

The claims that the F1's are heavy and a bit bulky are pretty spot on. They are negatively buoyant so don't drop them. But when you want power, they definitely deliver. I don't mind the weight, as I don't really feel it in the water. And when diving in 5-6mph current in Cozumel trying to swim the opposite direction, they did exactly what I needed them to do. They're obviously not for everyone, but it's a change I'm certainly glad I made and I have no regrets. Would absolutely buy them again. And besides....they just look cool!
Those are astounding fins if they allow you to swim against a 6mph current.

Those are astounding fins if they allow you to swim against a 6mph current.
It could've been less, but that's according to the DM. I obviously didn't use precise calculations or take any measurements to back up this claim. Just going by what the DM said after the dive.

It could have been more, but it takes a good man to do 2 mph for short periods.

It could have been more, but it takes a good man to do 2 mph for short periods.
I wasn't exactly kicking against it per say. More like keeping myself in one place for a few seconds to capture a picture of a hawks bill. And even at that it was a rough few seconds kicking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom