Which split fin to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wasn't exactly kicking against it per say. More like keeping myself in one place for a few seconds to capture a picture of a hawks bill. And even at that it was a rough few seconds kicking.
I understand, been there. I am not a scooter user but I don't think any common scooters will go 6mph and if they did your mask would come off and your regulator would free flow. I can walk at 4mph with a little effort but I can't swim as fast as I can walk.

I think a lot of divers, DMs and Instructors included, grossly overestimate the speed of a current, and how well they can fin against said current. It also makes a big difference whether the diver is swimming directly into the current, or at an angle. Consequently, I view comments about the effectiveness of a particular fin brand in a very strong current with a mostly skeptical attitude. To me, bragging about how much current you can swim against falls into the same category as bragging about one's SAC/RMV--mostly BS.

Ok bottom line I'll just try out different fins as mentioned here at lds.

Sucks that there's no WIDE option for a select shoe size..... in fins .

One of the things I found was that the Atomic fin pockets were too wide and the Scubapro fin pockets rubbed on the top of my feet. Nothing "wrong" with the fins, they just weren't a good match.

We all have different feet. Finding the right combination of foot, boot and fin is the goal. Don't limit yourself to split fins, be open to the fins that fit your unique combination the best.

One last time, spring straps will make a big difference.

One of the things I found was that the Atomic fin pockets were too wide and the Scubapro fin pockets rubbed on the top of my feet. Nothing "wrong" with the fins, they just weren't a good match.

We all have different feet. Finding the right combination of foot, boot and fin is the goal. Don't limit yourself to split fins, be open to the fins that fit your unique combination the best.

One last time, spring straps will make a big difference.

My buddy lost his spring strapped fin during a drift dive last week. Are they easy to fall off or remove?

My buddy lost his spring strapped fin during a drift dive last week. Are they easy to fall off or remove?

I use bungee, but its the same idea.

If you make them to long, it can fall off. I prefer bungee that i can change between dry-suit boot or wet-booties size.

I'm curious, why would a diver who already does the frog kick regularly, want to move into a split fin?

I use bungee, but its the same idea.

If you make them to long, it can fall off. I prefer bungee that i can change between dry-suit boot or wet-booties size.
A pic of your bungee setup would be great

Attachments

• 2018-06-23.16.39.23.jpg
    2018-06-23.16.39.23.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 84

Back
Top Bottom