Which Split Fin To Buy???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Atomics and the Apollos. I prefer the Atomics as I find the Apollos a bit too "floppy." The Apollos do look cooler however -- and you know how important that is!

Don Janni:
Read TESTDRIVE in Sport Divers' April issue.

It's an article that will make your Jet Fin hearts flutter.
"The Official Publication of the PADI Diving Society" ??
No thanks.

100+ dives on Tusa Zoom splits. They are great. That's all I will say.

Sea ya!

The Apollo Bio's with a spring strap is the fin of fins IMHO. Anyone tells you they can't do a frog kick with them doesn't know how to do a frog kick. I use it all the time. I don't care if you are carrying a load or not these are the fastest and easiest fins on the market.

Now with that said, I use mine in mostly tropical waters which I prefer to dive. They don't feel like you even have fins on they are so comfortable and I love that they are rubber and not a plastic composite which also adds to the lifespan. Not necessarily the prettiest fins in the pagent but its not like you are going to win any pagents while dressed up like a scuba diver anyway.

It does cracks me up that people say they don't have the power to carry a load or that because they are so easy to kick that they don't have any power. Nothing could be farther from the truth and I would challenge anyone with a pair of jets on to prove me wrong. Now the one thing I do agree with, if you are working with lines or in tight overhead environments, these are not the right fins. Tanglement issues and the wake these leave if you are verticle aren't a good thing but if that isn't the kind of diving you do then what does it matter? I simply change to the jets when I am in that kind of environment.

Since the original poster was trying to decide which split fin to buy... and not whether or not to buy splits or jets... I believe there are about 3,492,309 posts on that subject already. So I'll simple address the actual question. And the difference is all in the stiffness. Apollo will be the "floppiest", atomic will be the stiffest, tusa in between... so depending on your desire in the feel, go with what you want between them.

Goldie Locks would probably say the Apollo is too soft, Atomic is too hard... these Tusa's are Just right.:wink:

As far as the original post saying the dive shop stopped aqua lung over the Internet policy, I believe they were referring to the complaint that has been posted in threads that Aqua lung doesn't allow their legit dealers to sell on the net, but also doesn't bother to police gray market, making for an unfair competitive market. Same as Scubapro... But you'd have to ask him for sure.

Thanks to everyone - Lots of great information - I will be purchasing a pair in a couple of days. I am headding out for west palm for some drift diving next week.
Thanks again and be blessed in and out of the water.

-SC3

I, too, have been looking at split fins. It is not a question of split or paddle, that decision, wrong or right, has been made. I looked at the Atomics and the Tusas. The Atomics were bigger, stiffer and had a normal shape. The Tusas, besides being smaller and a little less stiff, had an interesting bend in the them. The explanation was that the bend made it easier to use the fin. How will the size and shape difference affect a diver?

SparticleBrane:
I'm curious--how can you say that paddle fins are "very expensive", especially compared to your Atomic splits?
Atomic splits: retail is $199, or $140 at Leisurepro
Jets: retail is $102, or $65 at Leisurepro
Turtles: retail is $110, or $88 at Leisurepro
Rockets: retail is $90, or $63 at Leisurepro
...:confused: :confused:

Calling paddle fins "very expensive", especially when compared to Atomic splits, seems a bit misleading to me...guess you have to pay for that fancy hole running down the middle of the fine somehow.

To the OP: forget splits and get yourself a pair of Jets, then learn how to frog kick. Everyone will thank you when you don't kick up clouds of silt...like all the split-fin divers...

wow. i use velocity duo's and was diving the donated Atocha timbers at Florida Keys Cmm Col the other day and didn't silt at all. maybe it's bouyancy and body control, not the fins. love splits... just not in much of a current.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom