Which Split Fin To Buy???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubacoots3

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This has probaly already been ask, but I am in the market to get a new pair of fins I am currently diving Areis Velocity fins, but I think I want to try split fins.

Some of the ones I have looked at are:
*Atomic
*Apollo
*Tusa
Have seen Auqa Lung Splits but can't find them on their current website - Do they still make them? My LDS is no longer carrying Aqua lung due to their online policy.

I value you advice and thank you ahead of time.

Journey On,
Scubacoots3

After some research, I tried Apollo's Bio-Fin just this past week ( having been using primarily Volo's ). My impression is that they're very comfortable and less fatiguing, while retaining the current-countering power I want. I loved 'em.
If you can, I'd recommend that you borrow a pair to try out.

scubacoots3:
This has probaly already been ask, but I am in the market to get a new pair of fins I am currently diving Areis Velocity fins, but I think I want to try split fins.

Some of the ones I have looked at are:
*Atomic
*Apollo
*Tusa
Have seen Auqa Lung Splits but can't find them on their current website - Do they still make them? My LDS is no longer carrying Aqua lung due to their online policy.

I value you advice and thank you ahead of time.

Journey On,
Scubacoots3

Aqua Lung doesn't make their splits anymore. They had a few problems with them.

Your LDS quit carrying Aqua Lung because of their online policy? I assume it's because they don't allow online sales? Interesting.

split fins are fine for flutter kicks...The draw back I found when I did try the split fins was that they were not effective with frog kicks and reverse kicks. Pushing alot of gear (drysuit ,twins, stages etc...)Split fins bite the dust. Your best choice for overal fins would be a stiffer paddle fin blade.

Problem I find that when folks use the split fins..not everyone....is they use on methode of finning which is the flutter kick and that methode once your close to bottom will kick up silt and thus reduce visibility and may cause some dammage to marine life.

Just my opinion on the splits...

Safe dives
Stephen

Try the Atomics - the SplitFin does make a difference, I can honestly say I don't get the leg cramps I used to from my very expensive paddle fins. More propulsion less effort. Atomic offers and nice stiff blade, with a easy off/on patented buckle system.
off course I'm biased.. but I do love mine and really did notice a difference when I got them.
Cheers,
Darcy

take a look at sherwoods kinesis fin..best of 2 worlds..ease of kicks as with splits but do not have to modify your kick and can do any type of kick you desire..Very efficient fin..

Here's the only fin you will ener need!:D

Attachments

• B0000E1QX4.01-A3SVBRU2LEMONO._AA221_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    B0000E1QX4.01-A3SVBRU2LEMONO._AA221_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 78
Atomic's - Top notch. Durable.

Agreed on the Atomics....a bit stiffer than most of the splits, but also a bit more power. You will need to modify your kick away from the regular flutter (as has been stated...they're a silting nightmare if you use a standard flutter..not to mention less efficient..) to a modified one. But once you do, you'll find out you get just as much power for half the work...and you can get within a couple of feet of a silty bottom without stirring it up. :)

Then again...I'm also sold on Atomic as a manufacturer. Between the great fins, better masks (love my SubFrame) and everything else...I think I'm in love! lol

Cheers,
Austin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom