Which SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VTernovski:
since we are on a subject of SPG... what is your view on those small mini-gauges that screw-in directly to the HP port of the first stage. I mean, for use on a stage bottle. I know they are horribly inaccurate (mine shows 2500psi when it's really 3000), but do we really need to see exactly how much gas is in bottle since most stages are timed on you bottom timer vs. using rules of 3rd etc as you would on a primary tank... At this logic, it would seem that you only need a rough idea of the pressure, and those mini-gauges do just that. Any opinions before I throw mine away and get a real gauge...

I think you answered your own question, any guage off by 500 psi is kind of useless don't you think,

as long as its flat brass and it works ... It should be fine-- Make sure you take off the rubber boot!

Are you talking about the new flat brass ones from Diverite--cause the old ones were alittle bulky I thought. The new ones are sweet so thin, easy to read-

mattengstrom:
What's so evil about the boot?
Supposedly it can promote and conceal corrosion.
I noticed this morning that the hose protectors concealed a small spot of corrosion on one of the fittings as well. I'll still use them, but in the future when I rinse my gear, I'll slide them down to make sure I get the crimped fittings well rinsed and dried.....

First, let me state up front that I'm not DIR, and I just heard about DIR for the first time within the last month or so. 'Though I received my diving certificaiton in 1977, I leave for a while but keep coming back. I'm usually disappointed to learn of the newest "developments" in equipment, or should I say dive equipment marketing? This time I'm thrilled! DIR is right in line with my own way of thinking. Much of what I've learned so far I had already figured out on my own; the other things have ultimately made great sense to me. Great!

So, boots: I agree that the benefit of protecting the gauge from shock and scratches is not worth the trouble they cause by retaining corrosive salt water. I have still not thrown mine away, since I am concerned that the plastic gauges I have need them. One of my gauges has a rubber boot that doesn't trap any water against any metal part, so its O.K. Both gauges had corrosion problems, particularly on the spools. Why aren't the spools plated?

Hose protectors: I think they cause more problems than they prevent. I think they stress the hose jackets when you install or remove them, and they hold salt water against the connector which causes corrosion. I removed mine, for good I think.

So, comments?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom