Which Resort on Grand Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A little late into the fray, but are you looking for a mini-Miami or something a little more secluded? That is the real determining factor between the resorts in town and the two out on the East End. There are a lot more dining, shopping and entertainment options in town, but there are also 10,000 - 14,000 cruise ship passengers a day that stop by to avail themselves of those options.

Except you're not going to see that at the Holiday Inn/ex Grand Caymanian since it's all the way east on the Sound in Safehaven. You will see buses going by on their way to the SRC/Sandbar snorkels but I don't think that's a huge factor in that area. 7MBR will see a little more traffic - there's an outside chance they also promote their beach for cruise excursions - one of the resorts in that area does. Not an issue for diving since you won't be shore diving there anyway - the reef along SMB is too far to swim out to. And the vans will pick you up about the same time the cruise ships are mooring - it's often 7-8am or earlier.

Here's a graphic that illustrates the issue in downtown Georgetown most mornings. Although by 4PM we had Eden Rock to ourselves - the cruisers are all tendered back from the square dock - ER closes at 5. Foster's reef mentioned above is basically Devil's Grotto South. I think the Nicholson dive flag is misplaced also - it should be more south and west off Sunset House IIRC.

Capture.jpg

Good point about the cruise ships. We do not want to have to deal with that crowd and I think we'll only go shopping one day when the ships are not in town. What day is that?

Good point about the cruise ships. We do not want to have to deal with that crowd and I think we'll only go shopping one day when the ships are not in town. What day is that?

Although it is amusing to watch the cruisers, we go into town later in the day as the cruises are leaving or have already left.

Last December, there were cruise ships in town every day, including one on Sunday, to my surprise. I don't find the cruisers amusing at all. All are either newly wed, overfed or almost dead. they walk around Georgetown like zombies.

You can avoid Georgetown completely by staying North or east and doing your shopping at the Strand or Camanna Bay. Same tourist traps and easier parking.

We only drive through Georgetown in the evening on the way to My bar at Sunset House.

Ditto that, Doctorfish - I was attempting to be tongue-in-cheek.

Overfed, newly weds, nearly deads and as a fellow SB member likes to call them 'Pod People'. That's why we make our treks early in the morning or late in the day (My Bar is our favorite place for a Caybrew Ironshore).

We are planning to go to Sunset House for a little shore diving and brews (in that order).

My new dive buddy hasn't done a night dive before. I'm assuming we can do a nice easy night dive from there to give her the experience?

I've seen people night dive from Sunset House but I've only dived there during they] day at a photo class (check out Cathy Church's store at Sunset House).

I've opted for night dives at Don Fosters reef up the road a bit towards town. This is the same general reef topology as Sunset House with the usual night critters like octopus, crabs, lobster and more. Pretty easy navigation out around and back in for both. You may even see the Atlantis sub at night. If you have a chance, Armchair Reef from boat is an excellent night dive (IMHO).

Post dive brew and Conch Fritters at My Bar is mandatory!

You can also dive Turtle Reef at night. Ollen at Sundivers will leave tanks out for you if asked. He also works with Happy Fish Divers - they provide guided night dives there on demand. There should be a crowd at Macabuca most nights so they'll have the lights on - just navigate a little to the left (from the water) to find the exit cove/stairs.

Another way to avoid most of the cruise traffic during the day is there's a back road about 1/4-1/2 mile inland. It runs all the way up to just about - or maybe just past Safehaven. From the Holiday Inn it's the first major road west - there it's called Tibbetts Highway - it keeps that name till the north Rotary in town where it becomes North Sound Road.

You can also use it to bypass downtown from 7MB Resort - a block or so south of there Eastern Ave. also meets North Sound at the Rotary. It's the same road you'll take to 7MBR from the airport. The other fork heading south there is North Church St. the road that runs along the water thru downtown.

The back road changes yet again after the next Rotary to Huldah - just stay on it south to Smith Rd. - almost even with the airport runway then go right. Bear a little left thru the neighborhood past the hospital and you'll come out just about at Sunset House but south of the port crazy. Don't go further on Huldah though since it turns inland to go to the East End (eventually)

One other thing to watch for thru town is that the cruisers don't realize you're coming at them from the other direction before stepping out into the street. We almost got a couple in front of Burger King once...Andy's Car Rental on Cayman rents both side drive vehicles - makes it a little interesting at drive-thru's etc. if you get a left-hand drive car.

Capture.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom