Which Regulators can be upgraded with a Phoenix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doubler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I know the DAAM can be upgraded, but what other regulators can be upgraded? I know I have seen somewhere that a Voit can be upgraded but which one? If you owned all the canidates for upgrade which one would you do and Why?

Thanks.

Don't know the Voit models but any of them that have the same basic design of the DAAM/RAM can be. If I had all possible models that could be upgraded it would still be the DAAM for the simple reason they are the most common and have less value than a RAM or any of the Voits. Granted the conversion is easily reversable but still, if I had 2 regs, one of which was more rare or expensive than the other and the conversion functioned just as well in one as the other, why not keep the more valuable one in tact.

I agree with Herman.

With a Phoenix first stage, a DA Aqua Master is converted to a balanced Royal Aqua Master (we tend to call it a Phoenix Royal Aqua Master). There is mechanically no difference between the Phoenix RAM and a vintage RAM.

The Phoenix only adds all the ports, a replaceable volcano orifice, and a slightly improved air flow path.

It is perfectly acceptable to use a RAM, but make sure to save all the original parts since the regulator also has a high resale value in its vintage configuration.

The Voit equivalent to the Aqua Master is the: V66 Navy (cataloged 1962-1964).
But, like Herman mentioned, they are hard to find and have a very high value as a collectible. Again, the Phoenix conversion can always be reversed to its original vintage configuration.

BTW, the only difference between the Aqua Master and the Voit Navy is the front can with the label. The back, including the mechanism were probably all made by US Divers.

For more information about Voit you can look at this link:
Vintage Double Hose • View topic - Voit Double Hose Regulator Information

Well, you could convert any 2 stage USD double hose reg as they all used the same 1st stage - with the exception of the RAM.

So, you could convert a Trade Mark Broxton Ave, but it would still breath as hard as any of the Trade Mark to Navy Approved 2 stage regs. But why would you wan to? The value of the early regs is the collector value. For a good diver with the nozzle go find a DA Aquamaster, they are like cockroaches on the internet auction sites and you should be able to pick up a good one needing a rebuild and new hoses for $100-$150.

Or ask around, I have had a few given to me.

Pete

You can convert any USD DA Aqua Master, Royal Aqua Master or Voit V66 Navy. Most people pick a DA Aqua Master for money reasons. N

Back
Top Bottom