Mk5/109 Cleaned, Refreshed, and Upgraded

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually you can, but it requires to distort the lever over a calibrated height reference. Most people prefer to switch to another lever instead of distorting your one.
If you read my first post, you would have seen that I talked specifically about 'adjusting' the lever height by 'bending' the feet angle, for which there is a special tool. The OP doesn't have this tool, and as I also mentioned in that same post, doing this freehand is not something I would personally would do or recommend.

Clearly in the post you replied to, I was differentiating between single adjustment barrel poppet design (which is what this reg is) and dual adjustment, in which the orifice position and lever height can be independently adjusted; i.e part of a normal service procedure, not an alteration of a pre-existing part.

If you read my first post, you would have seen that I talked specifically about adjusting the lever height by 'bending' the feet angle, for which there is a special tool. The OP doesn't have this tool, and as I also mentioned in that same post, doing this freehand is not something I would personally would do or recommend.
Correct. But what you call a "special tool" is just a calibrated height reference. Something quite common and easily fabricated...

Correct. But what you call a "special tool" is just a calibrated height reference. Something quite common and easily fabricated...
Maybe in your world it's quite common, but not in mine! I know Couv had one, and used it to change the angle on some older levers which he then sent me. But that's the only one I've ever seen, and I think it was a SP tool. Scubatools has nothing like it in their catalogue. I realize someone could make something that would grab the feet, hold them in alignment, and allow you to bend the levers. But again, it's something I wouldn't do without the tool.

Maybe in your world it's quite common, but not in mine! I know Couv had one, and used it to change the angle on some older levers which he then sent me. But that's the only one I've ever seen, and I think it was a SP tool. Scubatools has nothing like it in their catalogue. I realize someone could make something that would grab the feet, hold them in alignment, and allow you to bend the levers. But again, it's something I wouldn't do without the tool.
Well, I am an engineer, I work at the university and our department has a fully-equipped mechanical and electronics wirkshop, so we have various sets of calibrated steel rods to be used for tasks like this one.
They are simply square rods of hardened steel, with size calibrated in mm.
you pick up from the box the one of the proper size, place it in a jaw together with the lever and flex it until it barely touch the rod.
It is not rocket science...
You just need to know the proper size of the calibrated rod to be used.
Of course these items are common in a mechanical workshop, not too common at home.
It also depends where you live.
Here we are in the middle of the so-called "motor valley", so mechanical workshops are everywhere. I suppose that there are areas where there are much less than here.

Hello all, sorry for the lag in updating this.

I finally got the chance to dive the MkV with the 5 port turret. As you recall I was a little disappointed with the breathing on the bench. I tried few things and it didn't really get much better. No worse, but no marked improvement.

Well, I dove it and man did being in the water make a difference! The converted 109 to BA smoothed out and just delivered the air as nice as could be. Maybe better than my Mk 10 with a G250.

I spent an hour just mucking around and sight seeing. What a pleasant experience. Happy to get these two legacy regulars diving again. I'll dive the 2 turret MkV next to home.

I also have 3 other projects in the cleaning phase right now that I'll post new threads on with some questions here soon.

As always, thanks for the help and advice. Safe driving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom