Mk5/109 Cleaned, Refreshed, and Upgraded

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost95

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Morning all, hope you're doing well and enjoying some nice dives.

I present here for your enjoyment, 2, Mk5's and 2, 109's that I just finished working on.

Both 109's are upgraded to balanced adjustables with S-Wing poppets, new springs, balance chambers, and levers. I think they turned out nicely.

These are kind of legacy regulators because of the parts involved. The parts for basic rebuild were from Bryan at VDH and the upgrades were acquired from Couv after conversations about what I needed. The 5 port turret is also a Couv sourced part. It's amazing how friendly and helpful those guys were in keeping the old gems up and running. I'm thankful to have had the chance to deal with them both even if it was only on line.

Attachments

• PXL_20230511_063116274~3.jpg
    PXL_20230511_063116274~3.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 133
As far as the builds went, these started as ebay purchases. Both sets were pretty clean but needed modernizing. The Mk5 's both needed the turret bolts replaced with stainless and the 109's both had the weird poppets with the ball in them.

Also, both of these had the 2 port turret so that's where Couv got me set up with the 5 port for one. The other Mk5 is an older model that has the smaller HP threads. It will stay as a 2 port regulator just for grins.

At testing the 5 port Mk5 seemed to have mushy IP on lockup but it's getting better the more I cycle it.

It seems to initially lock up at about 124 and then slowly creep/drift to 134. It stays steady after that.

Here is the IP at 5 min, 30 min, and 12 hrs after cycling. I'll try and get the video of the cycling up if I can figure it out.

Attachments

• PXL_20230510_190658306~2.jpg
    PXL_20230510_190658306~2.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 143
  • PXL_20230510_193027255~2.jpg
    PXL_20230510_193027255~2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 99
  • PXL_20230511_042009746.jpg
    PXL_20230511_042009746.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 130
Nice, mount them on a wall in commemoration of Couv and the other guy but get rid of the blue diaphragm

Blue diaphragm is a little disturbing but I'm looking around locally for a clear or black one.

As far as mounting on the wall, I don't think they'd be happy with that. All our conversations were about getting these in diving trim and then using them. That's what i plan to do. I might even go to the local training spots and dive them without a BC just to watch the horrified instructors point me out to their students as what not to do. 😁

Blue diaphragm is a little disturbing but I'm looking around locally for a clear or black one.

As far as mounting on the wall, I don't think they'd be happy with that. All our conversations were about getting these in diving trim and then using them. That's what i plan to do. I might even go to the local training spots and dive them without a BC just to watch the horrified instructors point me out to their students as what not to do. 😁
When you go to your dive spot to use those beauties with no BC, and a diver or the instructor comes up to you asking where your BC is, reply “What’s a BC?” Then when they ask you who you’re certified through say “Certification, what’s that?”
Jusy tell them you read an old book from the 1950’s on diving and decided to give it a go.
Make sure you have someone there with a phone to get some video. I would love to see their faces when they get punked!

But I think the blue kind of grows on you.
What you linked to is the diaphragm cover... It's the actual diaphragm in his that is blue. We worked a trade, so it's solved now (my son dives 108/109s and likes blue).

Respectfully,

James

Back
Top Bottom