Which regulator buy with around $400?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nobody said anything about the Mares, I thought that was a good one....:D

Many people do not like Mares equipment, hard to get service, hard to get parts, typically arrogant company more driven by fads than technology (of course they are not the only ones).

Look into an AL Titan LX, often deeply discounted at online stores like LP, parts available worldwide, rugged first stage design, easy to work on, same second as the Legend and if you decide later to get something "better" whatever that might mean to you then the Titan LX can be your go to "Old Reliable" and back up unit or loaner. N

I like the Mares a lot. Their regulators are based upon a proven design that goes back to the Voit Titan regulators like in the James Bond movies. The only minus I've found as a Mares owner is the first stage has a 155 psi intermediate pressure, and that works best with a Mares octo. It is a little harder to mix in another brand.

I like Zeagle a lot, too. It is a Taiwanese regulator that is sold under different names, and you may find a better deal on the same item with a different brand. If I won a lotto, I'd get the Mares regulator and a Zeagle BC.

Have fun with it.

I like the Mares a lot. Their regulators are based upon a proven design that goes back to the Voit Titan regulators like in the James Bond movies. The only minus I've found as a Mares owner is the first stage has a 155 psi intermediate pressure, and that works best with a Mares octo. It is a little harder to mix in another brand.

I like Zeagle a lot, too. It is a Taiwanese regulator that is sold under different names, and you may find a better deal on the same item with a different brand. If I won a lotto, I'd get the Mares regulator and a Zeagle BC.

Have fun with it.

Which Mares reg has that high an IP? Mares seems to spec their regs for a slightly higher IP than some other manufacturers... but I'd be surprised if a properly adjusted Mares reg is that high. But I'm only familiar with a few, so maybe so.

But even so, most octos can easily be tuned to accomodate the IP.

If I remember right, 140-148 psi is the approximate IP range for the Mares regs I have manuals for..... less for cold water use. Many regs are in the 135 psi range. Very few that I know about are correctly tuned at a pressure above 150 psi.

Best wishes.

Have fun with it.

I believe what you mean is that their regulators are based upon proven Aqualung designs like the royal aquamaster and DA aquamaster. Voit's regulators were sourced and purchased from Aqualung. This is why you can still put an Aqualung legend HP seat in a modern Mares MR12 based regulator, because they came from the same design originally. Aqualung pretty much originated the modern design of diaphragm regulator that we see so often today with the 1953 "Broxton" two stage regulator.

....snip..

Have fun with it.

Stu,

I could be wrong, but if I'm not mistaken, Zeagle regulators are currently manufactured in Zephyrhills, Florida.... U.S.A. - and have been for several years.

Couv

i dive a mares reg set mine is there new carbon 42 but for the most part the mares regs are all pretty closely related. i went with mares because as a disabled diver i wanted a reg that performes well and that i dont need to adjust. this reg is it. it breaths easy and is very dry. it was a little expensive but i wont have to buy twice. my wife perfored the mares to her mk25 s600 and is now looking at a mr42 proton metal. i dove a low end sp a few weeks ago and was suprised how much water was in it.(if you have dry mouth issues that sp would fix it)

Scuba toys has the Hollis DC2 212 on for $289.00 they are saying that these are comparable to the Oceanic EOS minus the dry valve. If that is true this is a ridiculously low price. I would like to know if anyone has some feedback on this Reg as I am considering buying one for my wife, then maybe quietly trading her my Aeries Atmos Pro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom