Which Reg to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Higher air delivery of air not higher work to breath. as far as your last statement about EU testing i have no clue what that is about. I will guess that the 60 ft bench mark is a testing thing only. the article i read took all the regs deeper till they started to breath harder and did not find where the SP MK25 breathed any different than on land. I think they stopped at 220 feet the rest all developed to some noticable degree a reduced air flow or more effort to breath before that. That is what made my choice what is was. I self concluded by the info thta if i had to share air at one hundred feet I would not want to get it from someone that used a reg that started to pull harder at 125 ft. panic at 100 is double te air demand for 2 people so its like supplying 4 divers breathing normal. Of course this is not very techincal but say the reg was years old and never rebuilt and was unknowingly only working to half capacity could I still bring someone up sharing air. Scientific or not that made my decision to purchase. I ve been using them since 2003 and i probably have 6 of them. they all work flawlessly.

We have in our club a reg maint guy and that is where i got told that piston regs all in all deliver higher flow rates than diaphram regs. and that I would be hard pressed to demand over load a piston reg.

I own/dive both piston (Atomic/Scubapro) and diaphragm (Apeks XTX 200/Aqualung Titan LX/assorted Mares/Poseidon) regs and I honestly can't say I've ever felt like I was anywhere close to maxing out any of them on the performance front. All of my regs are way more 'horsepower' than needed for any sort of recreational diving, my max depths range from 130' - 150' deep.

Back
Top Bottom