Which Reg to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its definitely an option but i thought ill see what else is available, might find something nice.

Maybe was poor word choice on my part, what i meant is the "swivel" like on the ScubaPro MK25 where the LP & HP hoses connect to the 1st stage.
It might have a different name but im unsure.
Go for Hog first stage then.

Mares Navy is a really nice regulator, not one I would think of upgrading FROM, but rather upgrading TO.
What are you looking for that you don’t already get from this? Sounds like you never do any diving in water colder than 10C, so no real reason for the oil filled Navy, which is made for extreme cold. So all I can think is to get away from the unnecessary added expense and hassle of the oil, and perhaps get something lighter weight.

If the Navy is indicative of your budget, the best you can do for performance in Aqualung is a Legend LX. The Supremes are all CW versions, the main difference is that the IP is lower which slightly increases the Work of Breathing. Legend LUX is the same, just some more durable materials used, if you tend to bang up your gear. The lighter weight Core and Mikron still perform well, but do sacrifice a little WOB for the lighter weight.

You already have Mares experience, the only “upgrade” option for you without getting CW is the Fusion 52x. Weighs about the same as a Legend. If for some reason you feel you need a 2nd stage with an adjustment knob, Mares will soon be adding several such versions. Which is completely baffling, as they have for years bragged that their Vortex Assist Design, that air bypass tube, eliminates the need. I don’t know if that new control will be Venturi, or a cracking pressure adjustment. I suspect it is the latter.

I have no Scubapro experience.

The main reason i wish to Upgrade is that my reg is getting old , it has never given me any problems what so ever and even if i get a new reg it wont be discarded, will be adjusted for my pony. I guess i just want that shiny new reg feeling, which i haven't had in a long long time.
I was also thinking of possible new technology and stuff of the sort that might have come out by now, but i haven't seen a really big difference tbh.

Here is video link of 135 divers breathing off a single MK25 first stage at once.

That's just insane! now that's what i call ease of breath.

While Deep6 is the current darling here. their model is for self-service and never planning to establish a dealer network.

I'd go with a MK25. I saw a test once where every LP port had a 2nd stage/diver on it and all were able to get air .

I think the current high end 2nd stage is an A7000 but I'm a fan of the S600 since that's more familiar to me. Buy the newer EVO designation in either and it will handle all your cold water conditions also.

You also described Atomic Aquatics gear - if you can get local service. Most of their line can be purchased with turret first stage and 2nd stage swivel options. All their line has a 2 year service interval and all braathe basically identically, the difference in price being the materials used - the percentage of exotic metals like Titanium increases with the cost and they charge $100 more for the 2nd stage swivel hose. I like mine, effortless breathing at any depth. And dry in any orientation. I film so often find myself upside down etc.

That's what i was thinking of at first, with the s620TI 2nd stage (that is relativley easy to get here) , but i was also looking into the A7000.
I have only seen an Atomic gear once around here and the guy was servicing it himself, im unable to do that so have to stick with that i can get serviced.

As far as I know, all of the Atomic CW environmentally sealed first stages are packed with Christolube. That is an expensive mess to service, even every 3 years.

I understand that new reg smell is always fun, but other than that it doesn't really sound like you have much justification for something 'new'. I've been very impressed with Apeks XTX 200/ Scubapro MK 25 EVO/620Ti/ my assorted Atomics/ Aqualung Titan LX...even my old Mares were just fine. The main reason I stopped using Mares is that I prefer a user adjustable 2nd-stage, more control over performance and free flows, and Mares doesn't use adjustable 2nd stages.

@scubafanatic Mares adjustable is coming. Didn't notice if it is venturi or cracking pressure, I assume the latter. Generally, adjustable breathing effort serves to detune performance, not improve it.

I understand that new reg smell is always fun, but other than that it doesn't really sound like you have much justification for something 'new'. I've been very impressed with Apeks XTX 200/ Scubapro MK 25 EVO/620Ti/ my assorted Atomics/ Aqualung Titan LX...even my old Mares were just fine. The main reason I stopped using Mares is that I prefer a user adjustable 2nd-stage, more control over performance and free flows, and Mares doesn't use adjustable 2nd stages.

Technically you are right, i dont have much of a reason to get a new one other then my personal desire.
Which is also why im so picky about choosing a new one, going a step down from my current reg will be a stupid thing to do.

I understand the appeal of user adjusted 2nd stages how ever i never felt the need for it with the Abyss , the Vortex design worked well for me.

@scubafanatic Mares adjustable is coming. Didn't notice if it is venturi or cracking pressure, I assume the latter. Generally, adjustable breathing effort serves to detune performance, not improve it.

I haven't heard anything about any Mares 'adjustable', but I'll admit I don't follow Mares closely, given the wide assortment of regs I already own to choose from, enough to last me many lifetimes I'm sure. Adjustable feature is very handy, not to detune but to max tune for any conditions you encounter, and adjust for the 2nd stage seat taking a groove over time, there's a reason almost all scuba reg manufacturers offer this feature, and apparently Mares is finally getting on board as well.

By the way, has any one got a chance to try out some Halcyon Reg's?
I was told they buy the stuff from Scuba Pro and rebrand the plastics but im not sure if thats true ...

Back
Top Bottom