Which reg set would you pick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The honest facts are that all modern regs are all about the same in performance for the rec diver. It takes machines to fine the slight differences between them. To be honest, for a rec diver, a middle grade reg has plenty of performance. I would get a reg that suite the type of diving you plan to do. And I would bring you girl to the lds to take a look at them, and if possible to try it out. Good luck

I love the way that hardly anyone on this forum actually answers the question, most just go off on tangents.

Anyway, we're on a budget, and I looked at the local pricing and out of the Mares range, I can only afford the MR32 Prestige, Tusa, the 340 I think it is, and then there is the Cressi, which I still think is a good deal
As for her choosing the one she wants, thats what will happen, but if I'm going to be spending the money, I'd like to know what her options are.

As for Scuba pro...no thanks, servicing costs are too high over here, and the Apeks etc, are just not available.

We're going to go on the weekend to a few shops and see what deals they can give us.

viceroy, why not look at the Oceanic range? Just like everywhere else, Oceanic support in SA is excellent, and good prices too. Not sure what the prices are that you were quoted for those regs, but I am sure you could get a GT3 or maybe even the Delta 4 for the same price.
I agree on SP, here it is over-priced to start with, then ripped of for servicing.
I dive primarily with Oceanic gear and love it all. I am one of those people that reasearches large purchases to death, and when looking for the various pieces of gear, Oceanic always seemed to come out tops for value-for-money.

My gear is as follows, and I love it all:
Oceanic Excursion BCD
Oceanic Delta 4 + FDX-10 1st + Alpha 8 Octo
Oceanic Atom 2.0 + transmitter
Oceanic Spinner knife
Oceanic Shadow mask

There is a list of authorised resellers in SA on the Oceanic website.
Oceanic Worldwide - Research and Compare the latest Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear

In JHB, I can highly recommend "Go-Diving" or "Scubaversity".

i reckon that there is some Tusa model(s) incorporating Scubapro design & parts; cannot recall the model name though - maybe DA Aquamaster can help about that.

personal preference: I'd blindly chose SP MK25/S600 or MK19/S600 over any other reg (yes, including all mentioned) - given that you contemplate the price of course

i reckon that there is some Tusa model(s) incorporating Scubapro design & parts; cannot recall the model name though...

The RS-460 II X-PERT is basically a Scubapro MK16/R390 and the IR-3 Duo-Air is basically the old AIR 2.

My brother has the Cressi Ellipse (not Titanium), and he seems happy with it. I think it uses the same first stage as the Titanium. As long as you are only planning on doing recreational diving, then the Cressi should be fine. Have you checked on servicing and support for Cressi in SA though?

Codie, I already dive with Cressi gear and my current LDS services with no problem.
Cressi S102 BCD
Cressi XS + XS Octo + Cressi Guages

It's 8 years old now, but never had a single problem with it...

I had a look at the Oceanic stuff and it seems quite decent too, just not sure if our shop will service it, which is why I asked about Mares, Tusa and Cressi.

I haven't gotten final pricing yet on the Mares stuff, but for the MR32 Prestige which seems to be a middle of the road reg set, we're looking at R6200

The Cressi Ellipse Titanium + Ellipse Octo + 2 gauge console is coming in at under R5500

One advantage with the Mares is that since we're club members, Annual servicing is free.

I guess we'll just have to spend next weekend looking in the shop and see what she likes best

For around R6000 you could get a Delta 4 + Alpha 8 Octo + Gauges, the GT3 would be cheaper. I would definately choose the Delta 4 over the Cressi Ellipse Titanium, and not only because I dive with Oceanic. If you read on the board, you will see that there are many people that are happy with their Delta 4 regs.
Which area are you in JHB?

You obviously want to support your LDS, I rather support myself and find the best deal, from whoever... :cool:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom