Which ops pickup at the downtown pier these days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Living Underwater picks me up downtown, usually just shortly after 8 a.m.. Not sure if they are still doing so when things are slow as they currently are (and I am in Canada in lockdown). Drop Jeremy a message and ask him.

Living Underwater picks me up downtown, usually just shortly after 8 a.m.. Not sure if they are still doing so when things are slow as they currently are (and I am in Canada in lockdown). Drop Jeremy a message and ask him.
Speaking of Canada lockdown, everyone here on the island misses all of you Canadians- I have heard that mentioned more than once.

Speaking of Canada lockdown, everyone here on the island misses all of you Canadians- I have heard that mentioned more than once.
Really? We are pretty unassuming... I am starting to get a bit shack-whacky however.

With the passing of BlueXTSea, we are seeking a new op. One of the best parts of that op was the downtown pickups as we typically stay at Casa Mexicana. Are there any other ops picking up divers at the same downtown pier today? Which ones?

We stay at the Casa Mexicana and started diving with Tres Pelicanos about 7? years ago. 3P's dive shop is right around the corner at the back of the block that the Casa Mexicana sits on. It's like a 4 minute walk around the corner to their shop where they provide free transport to their boats at the marina and then back to the shop after diving. Free rides leave around 7:40 AM for morning dives and you're usually back to the shop around noon - 12:30PM.

While being picked up at an in-town dock may seem nice and convenient, the reality is the best dive sites are all far south and it is faster to get to them by taking 3P's free transport to the southern marina, getting on their boats there, and then getting driven back to the shop after diving from that marina. Also, if it's raining, cold and windy, searing hot and humid, or the water is rough I'd rather be coming back from the marina in a car than traveling that distance on water to be dropped off at an in-town dock. 3P's will also take care of all of your gear (except masks and regulators since Covid hit) so there is no hauling or rinsing anything else during your stay unless you want to. We leave it on the boat, they take care of all that, and it is back on the boat next day when we get there.

I'd say contact Jeanie at 3P's and see what they can put together for a Dive and Stay package at the Casa Mexicana. We went for 2+ weeks this past December and the Casa had special rates offered to 3P's who booked D&S packages that couldn't be found anywhere else. Jeanie also knows the best rooms at the Casa and is always able to get us a great room on the 5th or 4th floors with great water views... Ya don't get those rooms on the hotel websites.

Link to 3P's... Scuba Diving Cozumel | Top Rated Cozumel Dive Shop - Tres Pelicanos

Happy & safe diving and travels no matter what you decide.

I'm sure that the Union has known all along, and my guess is 3P pays the union some agreed fee. Sometimes 3P provides a taxi ride back.

3P's and the taxi union get along... 3P's uses plenty of taxis... It's not like everyone can fit into the back seat a pick-up or 2 and there is local law that states a business is within it's rights to transport its own customers based on the service they are providing. If a business is providing a dive service and that service starts at the shop and ends at the shop that business is within it's right to provide transport as that is part of the package they offer (although the taxi union likes to challenge this from time to time, take photos and such of a few divers getting into the back of a 3P's pickup at the marina that result in nothing). I think it is just kind of a taxi union reminder that "We're here and keep using us, don't think about buying a large van and cutting us out totally or that van will have problems in no time).

We went for 2+ weeks this past December and the Casa had special rates offered to 3P's who booked D&S packages that couldn't be found anywhere else. Jeanie also knows the best rooms at the Casa and is always able to get us a great room on the 5th or 4th floors with great water views... Ya don't get those rooms on the hotel websites.

Not to split hairs, but this is not entirely accurate. We used to get the same pricing a 3P, which is referred to as "Local Rates" around here. But about a year ago we became USA travel agents. Now we get wholesale rates, which are lower than local rates. I'm sure the small savings for you wouldn't be worth looking into as I also know 3P is a quality shop, but anyone shopping around should know its worth getting a quote from us because we will have the lowest lodging rates. And of course because we are licensed agents, we have wholesale pricing from literally every hotel and resort on the island.

And yes we can pick up from either Aldora pier or Aqua Safari pier. We pick up at every pier from Westin to Iberostar.

Really? We are pretty unassuming...

As opposed to many of my countrymen, who can be excessively assuming.

I am starting to get a bit shack-whacky however.

I'm going to start lobbying for the addition of "shack-whacky" to the next revision of the DSM.

there is local law that states a business is within it's rights to transport its own customers based on the service they are providing.

A taxista once started fussing at the owner of a local villa who picked me up in her personal car at the airport. I'm married to that person and am the co-owner of the villa and car in question. I've met some great taxistas on the island, but at times they can get almost comically protectionist, irrespective of what laws may say.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom