Which One First: Cave 1 or Tech 1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At the risk of both going off-topic and incurring the wrath of stepping beyond the forum rules, is it appropriate to ask whether the GUE cave+tech route is the best approach for the OP's goals? The "deep" part of deep wrecks certainly makes it sound like Tech 1/2 would be required, but I'm interested in knowing whether the addition of Cave is the best way to prepare for wreck penetration? Would going with a dedicated, non-GUE wreck course/instructor instead be appropriate at some point?

I have Cave2 like Nadwidny.

I would say that Cave 1 is fine for basic shallow (<100ft deep) penetrations on either fairly open wrecks or prepared artificial reef type ships. Stuff like the Yukon and sister ships. You may chose to bring more gas via bottom stages (which are only covered in T2 and C2 but many people on the left coast use them earlier).

Cave2 doesn't really add much value for deep wrecks. Andrew's UTD "wreck2" is theoretically applicable but I don't think its been taught in the last 4 yrs.

At some point you just need to take personal responsibility for your diving and do your best not to die by slowly build your personal well of experience. Deep wreck penetrations (130ft+) are like that cause every one is unique and they are constantly falling apart. So there really isn't a class to "bless" you and keep you safe.

So there really isn't a class to "bless" you and keep you safe.

I agree!! The only thing that will qualify me for that is tons of experience. Which I'm willing to let accumulate.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom