Which One First: Cave 1 or Tech 1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took Cave 1 from Danny in Mexico, and then I did a reeval as a buddy for a friend with Fred. Both are excellent teachers, with very different styles. I would take another class from either of them (and I probably will, as Cave 2 is on the menu for this summer).

Thanks. I actually just signed up for Cave 1 in April with Mark Messersmith (High Springs, FL). What's the best way to "spread the word" and get some other GUE folks interested?

Tom, the top decks of most of the more popular wrecks in S. FL. (like USS Spiegel Grove, USCG Duane & USCG Bibb) are at around 100' FSW. One day, I also plan to dive the USS Oriskany (aircraft carrier off of Pensacola, FL.). It's flight deck is at 150' FSW.

What's the water temp in Lake Michigan these days?

The water Temps right now are somewhere between "Ice-Cream Headache" and "I Can't Find my Wiener"

I just had next Saturdays' dive canceled because of cold. That's saying something for a Feb dive in Wisconsin.

Tom

Thanks. I actually just signed up for Cave 1 in April with Mark Messersmith (High Springs, FL). What's the best way to "spread the word" and get some other GUE folks interested?

You can try Quest, the UK board DIRx, and the west-ish US coast board Divematrix. All three would be good places to try ad drum up some buddies. I don't know what your local buddy situation is like but obviously you will need one or more to eventually.

You can try Quest, the UK board DIRx, and the west-ish US coast board Divematrix. All three would be good places to try ad drum up some buddies. I don't know what your local buddy situation is like but obviously you will need one or more to eventually.

Good sources - Thanks.

The water Temps right now are somewhere between "Ice-Cream Headache" and "I Can't Find my Wiener"

I just had next Saturdays' dive canceled because of cold. That's saying something for a Feb dive in Wisconsin.

Tom

Tom, you guys are real men! I was talking to a GUE/F classmate in Boston that was diving this weekend in 33F water. I'll never complain again about 65F water.

At the risk of both going off-topic and incurring the wrath of stepping beyond the forum rules, is it appropriate to ask whether the GUE cave+tech route is the best approach for the OP's goals? The "deep" part of deep wrecks certainly makes it sound like Tech 1/2 would be required, but I'm interested in knowing whether the addition of Cave is the best way to prepare for wreck penetration? Would going with a dedicated, non-GUE wreck course/instructor instead be appropriate at some point?

..., but I'm interested in knowing whether the addition of Cave is the best way to prepare for wreck penetration?

I have Cave 2. I can't honestly say that being cave certified has done much to add to my wreck diving skills. I suppose it may depend on where one does their cave diving.

I know that people like to think that cave and wreck are somehow the same but my experience is that they are two different beasts and the training should be treated as such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom