Which One First: Cave 1 or Tech 1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gxsr_sarge

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
After having recently "graduated" GUE/F (w/ Tech), I'm evaluating which comes next. I've heard great things about how challenging each is in it's own unique way. I plan to take both (hopefully within the next year) because my ultimate interest is deep wreck penetration - which I see as a hybrid of both disciplines.

Any advice as to whether I should take one before the other?

Cheers!

Notionally, if I lived in FL, I'd opt for Cave 1 first. That way you could do a bunch of dives (which would hone your skillset) without ponying up the cash for trimix fills.

But I don't know. I guess whatever you expect to be doing the most of.

I guess whatever you expect to be doing the most of.

Well, that's my point. Since I want to do deep wreck (100-200') penetration, I see it as a combination of both - Tech 1 for the deep/deco training and Cave 1 for training in overhead environments. While I do plan on doing the occasional cave dive, I plan on doing most of my dives here in S. Fla. wrecks.

I guess another way to ask the question is whether there is much overlap?

Has anyone taken both?

Pretty easy answer really. Assume you are talking GUE here. If you are going to want to dive on wrecks in that depth range you are going to need tech training. Do tech first and hone your blue water skills while enjoying the outside of the wrecks. If you do your cave first, you still won't be able to dive on those wrecks until you do tech. Then you are still going to need practice in the tech range.

By the time you complete tech I and get some experience, there might be a GUE wreck course around................;-) Then cave would be an option not a requirement.

Last edited:
Pretty easy answer really. Assume you are talking GUE here. If you are going to want to dive on wrecks in that depth range you are going to need tech training. Do tech first and hone your blue water skills while enjoying the outside of the wrecks. If you do your cave first, you still won't be able to dive on those wrecks until you do tech. Then you are still going to need practice in the tech range.

By the time you complete tech I and get some experience, there might be a GUE wreck course around................;-) Then cave would be an option not a requirement.

Brilliant rationale...

First you need to come to Hawaii in June for Tech 1 and then go to Mexico for Cave 1 in the fall!

I need buddies for my classes :)

You are much more likely to pass Cave1 first try than Tech1.

The reality is that you aren't going to be doing 150+ft penetrations with these certs. 130ft maybe, but they are both really just entry level classes and 200ft deep dives, nevermind penetrations are serious biz and way beyond these training levels.

I would do Cave1 first to get more familar with the way GUE courses are taught (which is nothing like DIRF). You will be much more likely to pass Tech1 ~6months later with the Cave1 experience under your belt.

After having recently "graduated" GUE/F (w/ Tech), I'm evaluating which comes next. I've heard great things about how challenging each is in it's own unique way. I plan to take both (hopefully within the next year) because my ultimate interest is deep wreck penetration - which I see as a hybrid of both disciplines.

Any advice as to whether I should take one before the other?

Cheers!

If most of your dives are wreck dives, then I'd suggest T1 first.
Which ever you decide to take first, make sure you are very comfortable with all the fundamental skills first. Practice valve drills/s-drills in mid water with your team, with just a line for reference.

HTH

John

You are much more likely to pass Cave1 first try than Tech1.

The reality is that you aren't going to be doing 150+ft penetrations with these certs. 130ft maybe, but they are both really just entry level classes and 200ft deep dives, nevermind penetrations are serious biz and way beyond these training levels.

I would do Cave1 first to get more familar with the way GUE courses are taught (which is nothing like DIRF). You will be much more likely to pass Tech1 ~6months later with the Cave1 experience under your belt.

While I might not agree with Richard in the order of taking these classes, I definitely agree with his premise that you should understand that you are a long way from being able to accomplish 200' wreck dives with safety and comfort. Tech I is an introduction to technical training and without some very solid in water skills, you might not pass it first time around. That is possible. However, from my experience and seeing others around me go through the process, you can do a lot to tilt the odds in your favour. In other words, get out and dive, dive, dive. Make sure the skills you learned in Fundamentals are rock solid and you have very good control of your ascents and situational awareness. Then you should do fine. But I would caution you that after the successful completion of T1 your are really just on the road as it were and not at your destination. No big deal really as every journey begins with the first step. I would bet money that after completing Tech I you will understand where you are in your skills in regards to your stated objective. This is one of the great things about this type of dive training: you become better able to evaluate where you are along the dive training curve, and most importantly, self confident enough to state to anyone else that "actually, I am not ready for that dive yet, so I will pass today". "I will be there eventually, but not today". You will be able to use your previous training/learning curve as an indication that you can learn this stuff, but you will understand that it takes time and there are no shortcuts. Zero to hero does not cut it when you are at 175' inside a wreck somewhere...........

safe dives,

Guy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom