Which one can we sink?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why? granted there are some HAZMAT issues, but where is the requirement that it has to be professionals? And why couldn't they volunteer if they felt so inclined?

Because these days the government is involved, talk to them. I hate to rain on a parade but at one time we explored sinking a ship in Oregon. After two years, with no answers all those involved gave up. Can't talk about it, can't tell them what you can do, you have to ask, come up with big money and stay involved.

So, knowing what we now know..... looks like it will take time, effort and a good pile of cash to make it happen. I'm confident we can get the ball rolling and we have a few things on our side.

1) An active local dive community looking to make it happen
2) Proximity: We don't have to tow the thing that far to sink it
3) Good Military Contacts....

It sounds like we should start making some calls to see what it will entail. Should we start by contacting someone at Pearl? Who has the connections over there? Would anyone be interested in a sit down meeting to brainstorm ideas?

Thanks,

G

Ships 2 Reefs is an organization that could give you some information & support. Ships to Reefs

The San Diego Ocean Foundation & Scripps Institute are monitoring the effect on marine life since the sinking of the Yukon. The effect has been uniformly positive, with multiple species establishing colonies in an area that was once barren. When people raise unfounded objections, reply with sound data. While you may never convince them you might convince the decision makers.

Artificial reefs are cheaper than dismantling ships, they have a positive effect on the ecosystem and they are good for the local economy.

I haven't heard the one about STDs, possibly because around here the pertinent equipment is packed behind 7 mils of neoprene or hermetically sealed in a drysuit.

if u want to have a sit down brainstorm session count me in I will be back from the big island Monday if u need a place we can do it at my house on hickam

The last wreck placed was the Flight 29 Down plane in Waianae, which didnt last ever long. (You can check it out on the SB photo gallery)

Other news, does anyone remember the F/V Robin that ran aground by Kewalo Basin. The state remove the fuel then tow it 2.5 miles off shore and sank it. That would of been a good wreck, it was convenient.

Fish sunk with vessel that hung up on reef | starbulletin.com | News | /2008/05/04/

Fishing Boat Runs Aground Off Kewalo Basin | KGMB9.com | Boat, Aground, Water, Guard, Coast

is that the one that missed the harbor entrance? If so, there wasn't much left of it to tow. I remember that the surfers boarded her to get the fishing huge stainless steal hooks off before the boat got totally bashed by the surf. I have some pics somewhere....

Good Luck! You're talking the state of Hawaii and a venture which will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and bring absolutely no direct income!

What happens more often than not, is that IF you get your idea heard by someone in power and IF they like it, they will turn around and assign it to someone to who can't see the vision and really isn't behind it. Then it becomes an idea sadly in need of life support! As much as you may be pushing the idea, the buck winds up stopping with someone who will shoot it down as unfeasible or extremely low on the list of priorities!

Look at the sad state of the small boat harbors and the direction rail is going.

Furthermore, one new wreck is not going to turn Hawaii into a premier diving destination!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom